Thread: Problem soldering 9ct gold

Default Problem soldering 9ct gold

I'm used to soldering fine silver and sterling silver stacking rings and I wanted to try some in 9ct gold.

I bought some 1mm 9ct wire and some 9ct soldering paste and it soldered very easily, however on the join it now looks slightly silver. I pickled the ring right after soldering it and polishes the ring but it's not made any difference.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong please? TIA

Obviously the colours don't match. Were you using hard, medium, or easy? When there is this problem, the harder solders match best.
    Perhaps you should try pallions next. Dennis.

I have no problems with 9ct paste, but you do need to be careful about how much you use - you really do need only just enough for the join, which should be pretty much invisible - on 1mm wire, you're talking about a pinhead amount.

You should be able to buff out the colour difference, but if you can't, try going for a brushed finish, which will disguise it nicely!

Thanks so much Dennis and mizgeorge - think you hit the nail on the head, I used far too much paste - back to the drawing board. Am going to try pallions too

Thanks again, Kim