Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1mm silver ring - how do I know I am done?

Default 1mm silver ring - how do I know I am done?

Hi Everyone,

I have been working on some pieces for a while now and feel like I am finally starting to make some progress! Compared to the queries on the forum, I am working on the basics and hope that I am not asking too many silly questions here...i appreciate any advice! So one of the pieces I am working on are some "simple" 1mm silver stacking rings and feel like I am almost at the point where I am really happy with the pieces and feel they have a professional finish. But how do I know when I am at the point of these being worthy of selling?. I am going to invest in a barrel polishing machine as I know this will harden the silver and polish but up to the point of putting in the tumbler I think I am there... I know the important things are a good join, no visible seam or kinks etc... is there any tips or advice that anyone can give me.....I sell some pieces of jewellery that I basically design and put together so this is a little step into making silver jewellery of which I am really scared and excited about! The only issue I seem to be having is sizing....I am working hard on this and know that different mm wire can vary with stretching though!

Thank you,

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Perhaps you can post a photo of your ring.

smoth edges, well rounded, exact size AND no visible soldering in the joint. Obviously before to sell, you have to make sure to be able to make sizes on demand.

Regards,

If you can borrow a fair quality camera, the pictures will tell you in a jiffy, what faults remain:

Can you still see scratches or gaps?
    Is every thing properly round, oval, or centred?
    Have you used more solder than needed?
    Can you see blotches of firescale?

One last thing: Tumbling does little to harden your pieces. Work hardening requires distortion by twisting or hammering.
    You can also precipitation harden by heating as below. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1 Precipitation Hardening (Ganoxin).jpg  

Hi Joyerico & Dennis,

I will take some pictures , I do have a bridge camera & should be able to get some upclose pictures. Pictures to follow!Thanks for responding to my questions!

Michelle

Well here's our chance to see what you're making then, Michelle. We're not a cruel lot. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

I was so busy over the weekend I didn't get a chance to come back online. I went to take pictures as suggested last week and then I realised that I have a magnifier which shows up every detail! EEk! I can totally see where I am going wrong now, I am going way too heavy with the half round needle file and can see some kinks too.I am filing way too much , mainly on the outside (where the seam meets) Cannot believe I didn't even think of taking a photo/using magnifier! I am using a cut 2 half round needle file to file the seam/solder but it is obviously way too harsh.

Thanks,
    Michelle

There you are then. Upping our game is a lifelong process. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your help:-)

Cheers,

Michelle

Hello there! I hope it's ok to jump onto this thread, as my question relates to Dennis' mentioning of tumbling/precipitation hardening...

This is my first post on the forum but I've learned so much already just reading through the existing threads and always appreciate all the pearls of wisdom!

My issue is this... Just like Michelle I am making 1mm sterling stacking rings, although I am also reticulating them and when lucky enough managing to fuse some copper on there too. The problem is that once they've been through the process they're coming out very soft. I am hammering them on my steel mandrel with nylon hammer but this is still leaving some unwanted malleability- it's also making them bigger which is driving me crazy. I can't figure out how to work harden them further, and my oven (and my mum's!) only goes up to 250 (thought maybe I could try precipitation hardening that way).

In the absence of many funds, do you have any tips on how to further harden? Sorry for the novel and thanks in advance!

Dani

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Most members seem to be on holiday, so I'm sorry there's only me.

I don't think it advisable to shorten the life of your domestic oven, so here are some options:

As many of us do, make rings about a size smaller and then hammer on a mandrel, or stretch with a ring stretcher until they are the correct size.

Alternatively, use thicker or wider shanks, where softness will be less of an issue, or use Argentium silver, which hardens at 220°C.

An upright ring stretcher is the one to get. There are some good offers on eBay.

However with stacking rings stretching will open any zigzags, so you would have to allow for that too, or just hammer the plain areas. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r Upright Ring Stretcher.jpg