Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting pearls

Default setting pearls

hello everyone,
    I am looking to set a pearl and have read that the quick drying epoxy is not entirely suitable because it is not 100% waterproof, and the 24 hour drying epoxy is the one to get. Can anyone advise me on what they use and where to get it please? ( I only need a small amount)
    Thanks all, Geoff

Cookson have a good selection as do hardware shops, stationers, some supermarkets and of course Amazon.

If you are glueing onto a spike and cup, the pearl will be very secure and even rapid setting water resistant adhesive will do.

The advantage is that you can hold the pearl in place for as long as it takes when back pressure due to trapped air might cause it to drift off.

Some members swear by gel superglue, so there is a huge and confusing choice, but the result will be much the same. Dennis

thanks Dennis, you're a star,
    all the best,
    Geoff

I think Wendy/pearlessence will tell you she only uses superglue if I remember rightly

Hi, yes CJ, but it is gel superglue. Much more controllable and less likely to glue your finger to your nose by mistake. We used to use epoxy (tried most sorts) as the perceived correct adhesive but a number of failures prompted a change and we have used gel superglue for years now without a failure. Plus it has a release liquid so easy to remove the pearl if you want to change it for any reason. I would never revert to epoxy.
    Use only a tiny amount. About half what you think you should use.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

thanks everyone for your help, gel super glue it is,
    all the best
    Geoff

thanks everyone for your help, gel super glue it is,
    all the best
    Geoff

Happy to help - any further pearly info, just shout.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Hi Geoff. I work for a pearl supplier in NZ. We also import pearl findings and make up the jewellery to supply to retail stores here. We use 2 part UHU glue and leave it to dry for 24 hours. We have tried several glues over the years and found UHU to be the best by far. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two part UHU is an epoxi, similar to others mentioned above.
    My recent experiments have proved to my satisfaction, that when small 2mm pearls were stuck into pits in a copper sheet, with so called 2Ton epoxi and gel superglue, the gel superglue was by far the stronger.
    Once a post is introduced, though the choice of glue becomes less relevant. Dennis.