Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The sadest thing in the world.....

Default The sadest thing in the world.....

Well not really, but I'm pretty sad right now.

Here lies my first attempt at dome setting:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3448.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	10342

That little loop in the foreground had previously been attached, threaded through a hole drilled in the back of the dome and soldered on the inside. Pretty sure that getting the stone out now will ruin that little dome and pretty sure I can't solder it with the moss agate in.

So possibly not so much a case of ask the experts and more 'share my pain'

Hope everyone else is having a more successful weekend

Faith

Yes Faith, accepting a solder joint when it is not secure is a common cause of failure and we've all been there. That doesn't mean you're a bad person.

Just try this: Fix the dome firmly into your thermosetting plastic and then with a pointy craft knife or snap off knife. insert the point little by little between metal and stone. Go round and round and eventually a small gap will appear. don't be in a hurry or the metal will be too buckled.

Once the stone is slightly loose, release the dome and push the stone out with a hard wire, or iron panel pin inserted through the hole. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis,

I will try that for sure as it's good practice even if I don't manage to save the dome this time.

I think I have changed my mind about the design too, I think I want integral hookwires like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3449.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	10343

Would u still drill the dome and solder from the inside to attach? This time it doesn't look like the joint failed actually, the wire seems to have sheered flush with the back of the dome.

Many thanks

Faith

Well, I often add a short section of close fitting tubing slipped over a wire, to give a bigger foot for soldering. Then you deed not drill a hole, only make sure the surfaces match.

I do worry about where you intend to attach your wire. Things tend to flop forward and down if attached at their centre, so I aim at a point a third of the way down. It means that in this case it would be further forward too. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, that's a good shout about the wire position, further up would be fine Do you reckon the tube foot would be stronger than drilling the dome to solder? I liked the drilling idea just because i can solder from the inside and preserve the outside finish (which is usually where the wheels come off for me!)

Ta again

Faith

Swings and roundabouts Faith.

You definitely aren't the only one Faith and Ive done it more than once too so didn't even learn my lesson the first couple of times !
    Just be thankful its only one stone

Did you burr the hole before soldering to make a tighter fit? Just thought I could see a tiny bit of swarf, but I could be wrong.
    It's pants when soldering comes apart.

Aww thanks Sarah, yeah it could definitely have been worse!

Thanks Theresa I didn't burr the hole no, I drilled right thru the dome, emeried both sides, balled the end of the wire, threaded it thru and and soldered on the inside. It looked like a good join as there was a solder meniscus thru to the outside, and indeed the solder didn't fail, the wire sheered through :s

But I shall try again and with my new design I'll use heavier wire for an integral hook anyway and be super careful not to put strain on it during setting.

Many thanks again
    Faith

Wires can fail due to overheating. A final insult is quenching while red hot.