Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to fabricate this curved cluster?

I cad this up quickly as an example.Its different because I didnt want to copy but thought I will give you an idea. To make it I would start by measuring the stones place them where you want them them make the bezels and claws around them in CAD the claws are made longer than in the render so the stone can be set. You could then have it 3d printed and cast there would be a fair bit of clean up as the growlnes from the printing need to be smoothed. Im not saying one way is better or worse. This is just the method I would use to make a similar ring each way has its drawbacks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	10344

Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	10345

Quote Originally Posted by callirrhoejewellery View Post
    Thanks for all the responses, I'm going to have a look at that book and have a try with the supporting back piece as that might seem to be the best way.
    The supporting strip can actually form the back bezel of the multi-stone setting; in other words it doesn't need to be filed away, just filed into shape. Jarvis shows you how from p.75 on.

It might also help to look at the Kevork Gurunian video, esp. 28 mins on.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgkw0ctK4k
    The whole film is valuable for anyone wishing to fabricate things from scratch, and I'm not the only person to regard the film as a work of art in its own right.

I have now seen this video, albeit in two sessions, because there is a lot to take in.

Whatever your style of jewellery, have a look because you will not often be let into someone else's work shop to watch such a complex piece being constructed from beginning to end.

I marvel at the components being made and fitted by eye with hardly any measurement and also the style of soldering.

Thank you Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

Thank you Mark.
    No problem, Dennis.

Yes, among other things it was heartening to see someone who is obviously very experienced and accomplished still having to take considerable pains to set things up for soldering. You're absolutely right about not often having the chance to view someone at work like this.

What I really liked about the film, apart from its obvious usefulness, was the way we were given a very candid insight into things beyond his work as well, such as his family dropping in to see him. Nothing is staged or unnatural about their appearance on the scene, and we get to see the affection he feels for them not only in the way they greet one another but in small yet significant details the camera briefly lingers on like the small lock of hair (possibly from one of his daughters) he has pinned up over his bench. This all helps to put his craftsmanship in context and give it additional purpose and meaning besides that of bare creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    The supporting strip can actually form the back bezel of the multi-stone setting; in other words it doesn't need to be filed away, just filed into shape. Jarvis shows you how from p.75 on.

It might also help to look at the Kevork Gurunian video, esp. 28 mins on.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgkw0ctK4k
    The whole film is valuable for anyone wishing to fabricate things from scratch, and I'm not the only person to regard the film as a work of art in its own right.
    Wow I absolutely loved watching that, I might even watch again!! Thank you. I can't believe his skill at soldering all those little bits. I definitely need to get myself a proper torch.

Like Dennis said...watching somebody work that metal and doing it by eye is mesmerising, I could watch all day.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I cad this up quickly as an example.Its different because I didnt want to copy but thought I will give you an idea. To make it I would start by measuring the stones place them where you want them them make the bezels and claws around them in CAD the claws are made longer than in the render so the stone can be set. You could then have it 3d printed and cast there would be a fair bit of clean up as the growlnes from the printing need to be smoothed. Im not saying one way is better or worse. This is just the method I would use to make a similar ring each way has its drawbacks.

Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	10344

Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	10345

Wowweeee!! That is impressive. I am considering learning CAD, I wouldn't know where to begin though. I'm sure there are few places doing it for jewellery design. You're very talented just knocking up that piece!!!

Thought I'd show you what I did using the curved under-frame idea and it worked really well! Thanks for all your help, I'll definitely be employing this method from now on. Although it's more time consuming, it means I can get the settings closer together.

Name:	FullSizeRender 67.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	10385

Name:	FullSizeRender 66.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	10386

Name:	FullSizeRender 64.jpg