Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fabricate this curved cluster?

Default How to fabricate this curved cluster?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custom-Cluster-Set-Diamond-and-Sapphire-Engagement-Ring-front-102855.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	10341

I am stumped as to how to solder the settings so it becomes part of the ring shank. Do you think that it has likely been cast?

I don't do wax carving so do you think there is a way to fabricate this?

I would be easy enough to cad and cast. Do you have a picture of the top ?

No two stones look the same size and the second setting from the left looks like it has 5 claws. Having said that, I can't see any major reason why it couldn't be fabricated.

If you were going to do so, the four largest settings could be soldered together on a curved supporting strip, which would then be pierced and filed away after the cluster has been soldered into the shank. The small stone on the far left could be accommodated by soldering prongs on to that part of the shank after the main cluster has been soldered in place.

Or if the design is not specific, you could search for a ready made here: https://www.eurofindings.com/categor...-by/relevance/

That's almost certainly cast; if you want some detail on fabricating traditional mounts, then I quite like this book.
    It's a pity there don't seem to be too many with the focus that has - the closest I know of is probably Revere's tome.

Thanks everyone, here is the ring made by Joseph Jewelry https://www.josephjewelry.com/engage...nt-ring-102855

Ps_bond thanks for the book recommendation. Does that contain how to create different types of clusters?

I like the idea of a supporting piece that is pierced afterwards. I've tried using investment and guessing the curvature using plasticine to hold the settings but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped and obviously....I was guessing.

Are you hoping to make a copy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Are you hoping to make a copy?
    That was my thought too and would you intend to sell it when it's someone else's design?

Looks to be cast to my eye too, although I'm not the expert.

I also think it wouldnt be that hard to make individual settings, blend them into the ring shank, as long as your measurements and sawing were accurate and bang on.

Nick

Haha no, I'm well versed on copyright law in that regard. I have begun creating clusters/multistone rings but being self taught and finding there is almost zero in the way of online resources or book sources on fabricating jewelry in this contemporary manner I am trying to glean what I can without formal training. So far I have been adding extra material underneath the setting and then filing away in a curved shape, obviously this causes a lot of waste material which isn't really a problem with silver but I wouldn't want to use this method with gold.

Nick, the thing with bending them after the fact is that they warp because they do not bend at the solder join. I'm trying to figure out a less tricky way to solder the individual settings on a curve other than setting them in the traditional cluster setting way which is basically flat and then curving wire underneath them to sit on the band. I think I either need to learn to carve wax or see if I can find some training that includes this contemporary setting.

My issue is all my pieces are one of a kind so if I am carving the wax and getting it cast then I don't know if I am going to be adding a lot more cost to the piece. Something to find out I suppose.

Thanks for all the responses, I'm going to have a look at that book and have a try with the supporting back piece as that might seem to be the best way.