Thread: Soldering Patterned Rings

Default Soldering Patterned Rings

I have made a few patterned rings. On the ones which I texture with a hammer hiding the join is fairly simply, but I find that it is more difficult to hide the join if I have used the rolling mill. I suppose I can set a stone over the joint of these rings, but if I am making them for males that wouldn't really be any use. Is there any good way to hide the join? Some of the patterns I have achieved with the mill are excellent, so it's a bit of a pain when the solder line is visible.

Any pics? You could perhaps deliberately draw attention to the discontinuity - put a narrow piece of gold in the joint, for example? Or a contrasting pattern sliver of silver.

Apart from using just the right amount of solder, so as to need an absolute minimum of filing on the outer side, it is often possible to match up the pattern to be joined.

If this leaves the ring a size or so too small, it can then be stretched to size using an upright ring stretcher without upsetting the match, or hammering the texture.

For me this is the method of choice for making rings. Dennis.

I like the idea of a piece of gold to contrast, but it's an expensive option unless I search my jewellery box for odds. I will bear it in mind if I am feeling rich! Thanks for your input, it's most helpful. Gaby

Dennis, it could well be that I am using too much solder. I will try to reduce it a bit and see what happens. I usually use my hammer to hide the join on hammered pieces, but I didn't think it would work on the rolled piece as the pattern is well defined and it may be difficult to match up. I will have a think about it and see what happens. Thanks for your help. Gaby

deleted post
    Last edited by Dennis; 05-09-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotswummin288 View Post
    I like the idea of a piece of gold to contrast, but it's an expensive option unless I search my jewellery box for odds. I will bear it in mind if I am feeling rich! Thanks for your input, it's most helpful. Gaby
    Well, a 1/2" piece of 1mm 9ct square wire would cost you £2.62, which would be a relatively thick contrast stripe...
    Dennis is (as always) on the money on using the correct amount of solder.
    Depending on the pattern involved, it might be possible to chase over the join to mask it too?

Now you've made me look tight! You know what us Scots are like... Anyway, that doesn't sound too bad and it may actually make a very nice piece because I'm loving the ring, but I'm just not happy with the join. I will add a wee bit of gold to my next Cookson order and see what I can do. Thanks a lot. Gaby.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotswummin288 View Post
    Now you've made me look tight! You know what us Scots are like...
    That is Prince Charlie I'm wearing in my avatar...

So I was right, you DO know what we're like! Thanks for all your help. Gaby.