Thread: Plating price query and recommendations

Default Plating price query and recommendations

Hi everyone

I have had two very different price estimations for plating in gold and rose gold. What do you think based on what you have sent off before? And who do you use that you would recommend?

I've had price estimations of £3-6 from one company and £10 from another for 2.5micron gold and rose gold vermeil at 23 and 22 carat respectively.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19850688_10155531429073417_967890993_o.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	10308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19875790_10155531429188417_713746842_o.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	10309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19894021_10155531430048417_251640910_o.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	10310

Also the chain on the stag is attached, 18inches long and would be about £27 according to more expensive company - haven't asked the cheaper one. The more expensive company are the same place I use for casting. I really like them so getting my first batch plated at 1 micron with them instead. They said they couldn't work out how the cheaper company could plate at 2.5 micron at that price - so let me know what you guys think! The cheaper company I actually saw recommended by someone on these forums.

Cheers!

Roz

Oh forgot to say these are the silver versions. I am actually using gold filled and rose gold filled chains and jump rings on the ones I am having plated.

The chain in vermeil (either yellow or rose) would be cheaper than plating now. Why go to added expense to produce something inferior in quality?
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Hi Pearlesence. I didn't realise I would need to plate the stag's chain until I had already done it to be honest. Is gold vermeil generally accepted to be more hard wearing than gold filled then? I can look into that for future pieces if so

I would consider gold filled to be much more hard wearing than vermeil - it has a thicker layer of bonded gold rather than being plated, but vermeil is often thought of as more 'precious' as it has a sterling core as opposed to one of brass.

I see what you mean mizgeorge. Gold filled is also a lot easier to come across.

Do either of you have experience of plating pendants like these? Interested to know what your experience was like in terms of prices and the company you used

I only ever plate small accents (usually gold on silver), and have my own pen plating unit for this, so I'm afraid I can't really help.

Depends on what you are making and your market. Gold filled is cheaper and probably for the lower end of the market. Vermeil is hallmarkable and precious metal and therefore a good budget high end alternative to carat gold.
    If you know where to look it is pretty easy to source.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk