Thread: Hi need advice on what kind of lacquer /varnish to use on copper and brass?

Default Hi need advice on what kind of lacquer /varnish to use on copper and brass?

Any advice on what type of lacquer to use to both stop tarnish and protect the wearer?

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

This has been a sore point here for years Emma, because any varnish you use will wear through quickly and with chains clog them and affect their flexibility.

It looks though that this chain is actually silver or silver plate, so can be left alone.

The disks can be lacquered with any spray on varnish from a hardware shop, say with two coats.

Everbrite has been mentioned here from time to time, but my experience with it has been entirely negative. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    This has been a sore point here for years Emma, because any varnish you use will wear through quickly and with chains clog them and affect their flexibility.

It looks though that this chain is actually silver or silver plate, so can be left alone.

The disks can be lacquered with any spray on varnish from a hardware shop, say with two coats.

Everbrite has been mentioned here from time to time, but my experience with it has been entirely negative. Dennis
    Chain is silver yes....thanks

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

For example, i used this and is not bad at all:

Mongay Zapón Cinco Aros (Five Rings) Lacquer for Metals

Perhaps in uk you have different brands to try too.

But mind that UV-resistant varnishes look strange on copper, which is assumed to be a matte surface (copper is normally seen as "vintage,rustic"). I would only use this to protect patinas and assume that copper oxidizes at a very fast rate.
    Last edited by joyerico; 13-07-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J Allison View Post
    I use Protectaclear
    Dear John,
    You will note from my post above, that Everbrite Protectaclear did not work for me, although I carried out all the protocols meticulously.
    The piece concerned was copper and brass box, destined for exhibition in a glass case for four weeks.
    At the end of that time it was returned to me in a distinctly sad condition, so I shan't be going down that route again. regards,Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

The company I work for produce cast bronze jewellery and had tarnishing problems.A quick wipe over with pure bees wax does the trick.As far as I`m aware ,nothing has been returned due to tarnishing!