Thread: Soldering hollow form

Default Soldering hollow form

Hi!

I'm making a pair of cufflinks which are circular hollow form shapes - I understand that I have to add an air hole to one side but how big should this hole be (the form will be just over 1cm in diameter)? Also any advice on how you remove the pickle/water which will end up inside?
    Thank you!
    Beth

Hi Beth, obviously it is more difficult to give advice without seeing the design.

However for risk of explosion, it is not strictly necessary to vent a hollow form if you are not going to reheat it after soldering it shut. But if you are left with a microscopic hole, it will suck in pickle and leak pickle for ever after. So vents are a precaution against that too.

Vents can often be put underneath, or behind, to be out of sight and are best as large as circumstances will allow, from say 1.3mm to 3mm. It is best to have two holes, as far apart as possible, so that you can physically blow out remaining liquid with a tube, or straw.

To get rid of pickle, you boil in a solution of baking soda, or soda crystals, both available at supermarkets. finally you boil in plain water to get rid of that and blow dry.

Dennis.

Hi Dennis

Thanks for getting to me. I did have a random thought this morning - if soldering the top is the last activity then in theory I could get away with out the holes? I can solder the bezel to the base, the cufflink arm to the base and finally then the top onto the bezel - Would that work? Obviously if I can a microscopic hole then I could drill a hole for any reheating?

Thanks
    Beth

Yes, sounds alright. The danger is from expansion of steam with nowhere to go.
    Tiny leaks in future, manifest in discolouration at the join and seepage of bitter liquid. Dennis.

Hi Dennis
    Just thought I'd let you know that the cufflinks were successful! Not quite finished but this is the end result - feeling quite pleased and no air holes required!

Thanks for the help
    Beth
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1518.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	10319

Well done Beth and well done to listen to your light bulb moment. Regards Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

that is awesome Beth, great result