Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organic channel setting

Default Organic channel setting

Hi all,

I've been really struggling for time lately, and not been on in a while, but have finally finished my attempts at an organic channel setting, originally inspired by Nick's thread here: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8653.

In the end I changed my mind about using pearls and set them with 1.1mm black rough diamonds instead.

My first one was more on the organic side as I messed up carving the channel a fair bit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	10292

But the second one was a lot tidier and I'm quite pleased with it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0081.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	10293

As always any feedback most welcome and big thanks again for all the advice on these way back when I started the project

Faith

My my, shows what you can do, Faith.
    Obviously the best way to judge them is on the hand, without magnification, but I quite like them a bit uneven, so that they show as individual stones.
    Maybe half way between the two, or less regular stones, if there is such a thing. Dennis.

Hey Dennis, thank you

You know I think I agree with you. The first I made too many mistakes so I felt like the end result was a bit more luck than judgement, and that made me want to do the second one really precise - but I think it has a little less charm for that.

I bet that's the hardest skill of all isn't it, precisely making things that look imprecise!

I've found getting roughs that size at all quite tricky so I think it'll be on my list of things to look out for rather than go on a crusade and have another go if I find some good contenders.

Thanks again
    Faith

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post

I bet that's the hardest skill of all isn't it, precisely making things that look imprecise!
    I'd say it's the second hardest, Faith.

Hey Mark,

What the hardest skill then lol?

Faith

My old tutor said 'Pleasing irreguality', poor thing.

If you can make the IJL at Olympia, Sep 3rd-5th (www.jewellerylondon.com) you should be able to pick your own. They have a good gemstone section. Register in advance and it's free. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-07-2017 at 09:34 PM.

That's a good way of putting it

Ooo well at least it's open on a weekend day, I'm miles and miles away but I've put it in the diary, might be able to make the Sunday I went to the Jewellery Trade Centre in Bangkok last year (my other half was poorly for a day of holiday so it sounded like a good plan for me). I cannot describe the goodies there, 3 floors of gemstones............

Faith

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

lovely result - you should be mega pleased

London Jewellery Show is always a treat! Would love to go again myself!

Hey thanks Wallace I've never tried a channel set before these so I am real pleased

Yeah I think I'll definitely try and go this year, it sounds great!

Faith

I think its really difficult to make organic look good.
    Personally I think the setting would need to be chunkier and more uneven to make it work really well.