Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Superglue on gold - help please!

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    True but you don't have to heat it much to melt the glue, most stones would be ok barring things like turquoise.
    Can I ask you, Sarah, whether superglue can be used to hold things in place while you solder? (I've never tried it, so have no idea). In other words, if you flux the glued together parts, will the glue simultaneously burn off and solder flow to fill the area where the glue was, or will the gluey residue prevent solder from flowing? And will the parts you're holding together with glue drift apart anyway as soon as the glue melts and before the solder flows?

I'm sure I've seen a video of someone using superglue to hold parts while soldering but I can't remember the details of it.

Thanks.
    Mark.

True but you don't have to heat it much to melt the glue, most stones would be ok barring things like turquoise.
    Please do not try this with pearls
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    I'm sure I've seen a video of someone using superglue to hold parts while soldering but I can't remember the details of it.Thanks. Mark.
    I quite often fix parts to the block with sparing application of superglue, but well clear of any joints. It gives off acrid smoke when heated and leaves a residue on the block, so is likely to interfere with a solder joint if applied directly.

For flux as glue, I use a tiny pinch of Gum Tragacanth substitute in Auroflux, as in my recent thread:

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8755 Dennis.

I haven't tried it Dennis but I wouldn't think it would work as the glue burns off long before even easy solder reaches melting point.

Slightly alarmed that I've not heard how it went...

Anxiety inducing silences:

Have they received it?
    Does it fit?
    Do they like it?
    Have they managed it?

Assume that no news is good news. Dennis.

I haven't tried it Dennis but I wouldn't think it would work as the glue burns off long before even easy solder reaches melting point.
    You're absolutely right Sarah and it has taken me some time to come up with the answer. If you open my link above you will see that I was able to steady the scales for the pangolin, on a curved surface and sweat them in place, using this method.

The extra viscosity helped before the metal reached soldering temperature, but the gum burned away quite quickly and cleanly, so not interfering with the solder.

At that point the flux itself had formed a glaze and acted as the glue. Dennis.

the glue is off, the glue is off! Stand down!
    Acetone did it, and 'it might need a polish eventually'.
    Phew. Now onto the next fun filled rollercoasters, including 'annual accounts' and 'where did I put those diamonds'.

No Lydia. Make yourself some worry beads. Dennis.