Thread: Gold Plated Hallmark Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gold Plated Hallmark Question

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to the forum and also pretty new to jewellery making - I've been self-training since December in lost wax casting, and up until now I've been creating in silver. As I'm a gold wear I've recently been looking into getting my pieces plated, but I've been round and round the houses trying to work this out for myself, and am now totally confused ...

If someone could possibly help me understand the hallmarking process for items that are sterling silver core and 18ct gold plated I'd be so so SO grateful!

Main confusion: Should I send my sterling silver pieces to be hallmarked first with the silver fineness mark, and then send it for plating? OR should I send my sterling silver pieces to be 18ct gold plated and THEN send it to be hallmarked? ... if it is the latter then what marks should I be requesting?

Thank you in advance

Leighna
    x

You can confirm this with your local assay office, but as I understand it, gold plated sterling can be hallmarked after plating and will be marked as sterling.

https://theassayoffice.co.uk/bondedgoldbaoexpert Dennis.

you can plate before or after.
    It will be hallmarked as sterling if it meets assay, you can have added a description, '18 ct gold plated', as well.
    If its plated afterwards the plating cant be more than 2 microns thick.
    bumph