Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas torch

Default Gas torch

What is the best starter gas torch? I've tried a dremmil one and a go systems pen gas torch, that's rubbish too and won't refill!! I only was to make rings, solder jump rings and solder pendants as I'm learning. Many thanks kerrie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first torch you buy should be a re-fillable hand torch. It will give enough heat for small items, particularly if you build a cave with bricks to contain the heat. Then you can decide at leisure what to get next.

Cookson list some, or you can go for this modestly priced one.: https://www.eternaltools.com/jewelle...cro-hand-torch

Would the Dremel not do?

Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, good idea about the cave with bricks! My husband has managed to refill the torch so round two coming up! I will solder something by the end of the day lol

Thank you

Hello Kerry

I've been using this one for about five years now - and it does everthing I ask of it:

http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/j...ane-torch.html

If it died tomorrow, I'd immediately order another!

Sally

Thank you sally, I've been looking at that one, what's the biggest piece you use it on?

Many thanks

Kerrie

I use that torch for everything except belt buckles and annealing bowls - so it's fine for soldering all sizes and thicknesses of rings and pendants, and annealing wire for drawing.
    What were you wondering if it would cope with?
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by -Sally- View Post
    I use that torch for everything except belt buckles and annealing bowls - so it's fine for soldering all sizes and thicknesses of rings and pendants, and annealing wire for drawing.
    What were you wondering if it would cope with?
    Sally
    Bangles! My friend is a proper jeweller not like me lol I'm teaching myself! He has a shop and everything! He said smaller gas torches might struggle to heat a bangle, I do eventually want to do them in copper and silver, not cuff bangles, ones made from thick wire.

It's coped with 3mm round simple bangles with small bits of metal decoration - but your friend's right - if it had multiple wires, or large settings soldered to it - you might need to use your second torch.
    So if your plan is to solder mainly weighty things on a regular basis - perhaps look at getting this style of torch:
    http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rch&channel=uk

It will require spending a fair bit more cash though!
    Sally

I should just add that I've never used that particular torch - but I'm sure someone else will be able to advise on that style of torch - perhaps your jeweller friend!
    Sally

Hi Kerrie, I'd echo that a good little hand torch is the best when you're starting out. I've used both of the ones mentioned and I've found them both to be good. I've soldered up to 1.5mm bangles and rings with the smaller and up to 2.5mm with the max torch. You might be able to do thicker wire, though I've never tried. If you're like me, you'll probably also find that you end up with several torches over time depending on what you plan to do with them - I love tools! One thing I did learn very quickly when I was starting, is that good soldering technique is probably just as important as the torch e.g. clean, well fitting joins, even heating of your items etc. Oh yes, and I also have the sievert mentioned above. It's good and can certainly handle bigger jobs if you change the burners but I think the hand torches are good to start with and will always be handy to have around. Good luck with your choice!

Anna