Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two tool questions...

Default Two tool questions...

Hi all,

I have two (unrelated) tool questions if I may, partly aimed at taking advantage of free delivery weekend!

1) What tools to folks recommend for getting excess lumpy bits of solder out of bezel cups? I know the best way to do this is not get it in there in the first place, but if I need a perfect seam on the outside (i.e if I'm not gonna file the outer edges flush), somehow however little solder I use I still sometimes get globby bits of solder inside the setting, and haven't found an effective way of fixing it?

2) What non-compound based polishing method do people recommend most for mirror polishing flat surfaces with some obstructions? (i.e. like a flat backed earring with a stud back or hookwire soldered on somewhere so it's not totally flat). If the answer is something in the everflex family or similiar I'd be interested in what shapes people prefer for that kind of job too?

Many thanks

Faith

For removing solder inside bezel cups, small round burrs with not much pressure.

For flat surfaces, rub them on grades of Micromesh sheet, say 2400,3600,6000 and finally8000, before adding any obstructions. For perfection, additions are then made by riveting. Dennis.

In answer to no.1, for some grinding jobs I use round burrs, as Dennis says. For the specific task of grinding away excess solder in the inside seam at the bottom of a bezel cup I use the tools in the picture. The beauty of them is that their flat tops and inverted cone shape mean you can work right up to the seam without any risk of inadvertently chewing into the inner face of the bezel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pink grinding points.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	10105

I use straight Diamond burrs, I am not aware of any non compound product that will give a mirror polish

Thanks Dennis, just how small are the ball burrs you use for that? 1mm? 0.5? I'll give micromesh a try, as you say it's the final solder that usually stuffs up the pretty good emery finish on such items. Riveting is a good idea but I guess only when u can incorporate it into the design.

Thanks Mark, I'm assuming those are carborundum? They do look pretty ideal, where do you get them from, I couldn't see that shape on Cooksons?

Finally thanks China, I'll have a look at diamond burrs too. I do like the finish from tripoli and rouge, but my other half gets a bit crabby when I've sprayed the whole kitchen in dust! I can get a perfect mirror finish with silicon wheels on bezel walls, that's the best I've seen, but the wheels are quite skinny, maybe 5mm think so I doubt they'd make such a good job of a larger area. As such I was wondering if anyone got good results from any of the more varied everflex shapes.

Ta again

Faith

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Thanks Dennis, just how small are the ball burrs you use for that? 1mm? 0.5? Faith
    There's no answer to that. You might have to try several according to size of the blob.

As for rivets, they are soldered to the backs of the additions, then go through holes in the shiny back plate for riveting from behind.
    The least traumatic rivets are just tubing, which can be spread by wriggling a scriber in the ends. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Thanks Dennis, just how small are the ball burrs you use for that? 1mm? 0.5? I'll give micromesh a try, as you say it's the final solder that usually stuffs up the pretty good emery finish on such items. Riveting is a good idea but I guess only when u can incorporate it into the design.

Thanks Mark, I'm assuming those are carborundum? They do look pretty ideal, where do you get them from, I couldn't see that shape on Cooksons?

Finally thanks China, I'll have a look at diamond burrs too. I do like the finish from tripoli and rouge, but my other half gets a bit crabby when I've sprayed the whole kitchen in dust! I can get a perfect mirror finish with silicon wheels on bezel walls, that's the best I've seen, but the wheels are quite skinny, maybe 5mm think so I doubt they'd make such a good job of a larger area. As such I was wondering if anyone got good results from any of the more varied everflex shapes.

Ta again

Faith
    Have you tried the Menzerna polishing compounds rather than Tripoli/rouge? I find them much cleaner and less dusty to work with.

https://www.bettsmetalsales.com/p-Me...lish-Compound/

Haven't moved on to menzerna but the luxi range aren't too bad

I tend to use diamond burrs too, you can buy them in a set of varying shapes and sizes.
    Although I will also use round burrs, just depends on how much needs removing and what access is like.
    I use Luxi polish but for really small areas I mostly just finish with the green ever flex and polish with a silver cloth.

Thanks Dennis, I misinterpreted your riveting suggestion - I get it now

Thanks also Lauren, Caroline and Sarah. I'll order a few diamond and carborundum burrs - it can't hurt to have a few! Thanks also on the cleaner compound recommendations - I must admit I'd become quite enthralled with dust free polishing, working as I am in a bedroom with cream carpet, curtains and white walls! But if everflex just won't cut it I'll try some of those other compounds - at least it's lighter in the evenings just now so I could always polish in the garden!

Many thanks again

Faith