Thread: Wishbone/Chevron Ring

Default Wishbone/Chevron Ring

Hi Guys,

I am looking for advice on how to make a really "simple" wishbone ring from 1.5/2mm silver wire, basically like the photo below. From what I have gathered the method is to solder the wire into a v shape and hammer the ring on the mandrel (avoiding the v shape area) and then take a pliers, bend the v bit down & then put the ring on the mandrel and shape/hammer to size? Am I on the right track?

Also if I am right, then should I file the two pieces of wire that need to be soldered together at an angle so they join correctly? I am about the attempt this so just wanted to get some advice before I do.

I am self-taught and find this forum an enormous help! Thanking you in advance!

Michelle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wishbone ring.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	10262

Hi Michelle, there is probably a complex original way, but looking at it I would probably start with annealed and straightened wire in the flat. Now cut and file a V notch most of the way through at the centre.

You then have the basis for your wishbone, which you can complete by closing and soldering the V, and manipulating the curves flat on the bench with fingers or with ring pliers, before using a mandrel to shape the ring, cutting to size and soldering the final seam.

All the texturing can be done at the end, but the ring will enlarge slightly doing it, so start with a half size smaller.

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 20-06-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your advice! Much appreciated!

Thanks,

Michelle

Probably no help if you're not a member, but Andrew Berry did a couple of films on just this type of ring last Sept 10th and 16th.
    I think you can join for a trial month if you want to watch them but don't want to commit to a years subscription.

Looks like the ring in the image has the end soldered onto the side of the other end if that makes sense not sure if this is the best way to do it but if the wire is flat it would work I suppose. If you look close you can see the solders a different colour.

Hi!

Trialuser....thank you! I have not heard of Andrew berry before and I managed to source the two videos (as recommended) on the at the bench website, will definitely sign up for a trial & it is probably worth it to subscribe too! thank you for that:-)

Josef1 eek! I didnt even see that in the picture but I looked there & you are spot on! wouldn't be comfortable myself selling that! Thank you for your advice:-)

Michelle

I make a few of these, one small tip to add- you can't stretch them to a bigger size once they are made without the V flattening out so I tend to make them slightly bigger and then cut out a section.
    Ideally one would make it the right size to begin with but so far I haven't managed that.

No not on a ring stretcher, but you can probably go up a size by hammering the reverse on a mandrel Sarah.
    Dennis.

Thanks for the tips Enigma & Dennis:-) I have signed up for a free trial with atthebench.com and think I will buy membership as it really has a library full of knowledge that I can definitely learn from!

Michelle