Thread: Argentium.

Default Argentium.

Now that Cookson stock Argentium, there's no excuse for putting off the new project, which is fusing Argentium wire for a new link-in-link bracelet.

I have also bought a new Durston vermiculite soldering board, just to start off clean. The size is so generous that I think I shall cut it into smaller pieces with a saw.

I like to use vermiculite board, because it is easy to push in a few ordinary household pins to keep components in contact for soldering.

You do have to insert pins well away form the joint though, to avoid getting one stuck to your piece.

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-9733 Dennis.

Looking forward to seeing your project.

I'm currently using one of the honeycomb soldering boards, which is fine until I inevitably drop a solder pallion because they tend to disappear down the holes.

I'm also going to buy argentium for my earring projects when I restock - for some reason I'd thought it would be more expensive than sterling and therefore not something to consider for experimental beginner projects but when I looked at wires the other day it was actually slightly cheaper.
    Hazel

This thread is actually from June of last year, so if you look at my show and tells, several including the last one were in Argumentum Hazel.

Some reservations I have are:

Its hard solder is far too close to its melting point, so only medium and easy are useful options.

The solders are quite slow flowigand can leave unwanted bumps.

It is brilliant at keeping its shine and it is hypoallergenic, but the solder darkens noticeably in quite a short time.

It is very fragile when hot, so falls to pieces if a clamp is too tight, or if quenched too soon.

Availability is still a problem and the full range is rarely in stock. Chains have to be sourced from USA and so are very expensive unless you make your own. Dennis.

Fabulous for ear wires though.

Ah yes, so it is Dennis - I was very tired when I was reading through the forum yesterday evening! I'll have to have a look through your pictures.
    Hazel