Thread: Delft Casting

Default Delft Casting

I have done some cuttle fish casting recently and am now thinking of getting the Delft casting kit. The main things I'd like to cast are small shells to then solder on to bigger items. Would the delft system work for this? Also looking at a WHIP so am interested in any feedback on those too. I've been using my class kit up until now.
    Thank you.

The Delft System is fine for reproducing relatively shallow items which are not undercut. The original will have to be removed from what amounts to wet sand.

I can't answer for the wire handled ingot pouring device, but it has been praised on the forum in the past. You can google it, but it was mentioned here for instance:

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/arc...hp?t-6804.html Dennis.

Thanks Dennis. I'm not sure what undercut means?

It's basically a ledge or recess, so that part of the mould breaks off when you extract the model.

Hi. I've just found whip sets available from palmer metals. Thinking of buying one myself.

Cone type shells should work ok, so long as they are placed at the right angle to remove without dislodging the sand (so the thickest outline is at the join)- once you try it you'll see how to place the shells. Thinner bivalves may present issues with the silver hardening before complete fill, but thicker ones should be ok. You may need to pack sand into the shell cavity before tamping into the main sand to prevent breakage. Also bear in mind the loss of detail at the sprue and air outlet holes. Good luck!
    Cheers Matt

Thanks all. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a set!