Thread: Safe soldering

Question Safe soldering

I am trying to make a torque bangle from 3mm round Stirling silver wire and cooksons s.s.beads with 1 hole on the end. The description states you can solder these beads but as they are hollow will it be safe to do so without drilling another hole. Wouldn't like it to explode. Hope someone can suggest a solution.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi Kellz,

you can solder it once, but after that the gasses will expand and make it blow out. As you are doing it on opposite ends, you may be able to put some technoflux on the one that has already been soldered to keep it from becoming too hot.

Thanks for the info. I enlarged the existing hole and the beads are now a snug fit on the wire. I hoped to be able to solder both at the same time. Is technoflux the same as thermogel?

If you can flux both ends and then go on to solder them without pickling or quenching in between, you should be fine.

The main problem is not expanding air, but getting liquids sucked into the balls through small gaps or porosities. If reheated these would display the power of steam and possibly explode.

It is probably also worth letting your piece air cool after soldering, because, pickling when hot will tend to suck pickle into the balls to be an irritant to the wearer.

The last thing is to boil hollow pieces in a soda solution to neutralise any remaining pickle, and then in plain water, to avoid complaints of irritation. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-06-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellz View Post
    Thanks for the info. I enlarged the existing hole and the beads are now a snug fit on the wire. I hoped to be able to solder both at the same time. Is technoflux the same as thermogel?
    it was thermogel - sorry on ipad, and wasn't paying attention to the what I was spelling. But it will work without if not heated again (as mentioned by Dennis)

Thanks folks. I'll go ahead and try it. Love the sleeping dragon website especially the pendant with the pierced tree frog.

Thanks folks. I'll go ahead and try it. Love the sleeping dragon website especially the pendant with the pierced tree frog.
    thank you very much. Really appreciate the feedback. LoL on the Frog - he was a tricksy little creature!

let us know how it turned out.

Hello again. Success! I shaped the bangle then soldered one bead then buried that end in thermogel and soldered the other end. I also used the thermogel to protect the charm and bangle while I soldered the jump ring. Its quite economical tool because you can scrape the dry bit off after use and put the rest back in the pot to use again.
    Thanks again folk. Will post pictures after final polish

Hello again. Success! I shaped the bangle then soldered one bead then buried that end in thermogel and soldered the other end. I also used the thermogel to protect the charm and bangle while I soldered the jump ring. Its quite economical tool because you can scrape the dry bit off after use and put the rest back in the pot to use again.
    Thanks again folk. Will post pictures after final polish
    how lovely to hear it went well look forward to the photos