Thread: lacquering brass to prevent tarnish.

Default lacquering brass to prevent tarnish.

Can anyone advise whether there is any way to lacquer brass jewellery to prevent tarnishing. I use some brass components in my work. I have tried with rustins metal lacquer but after a few days of wear it still seems to tarnish and then leaves sticky marks when you try to rub the piece clean. Is there anything i could try or is there just no point trying to use brass in my work? Thanks

I'm sorry I have realised that there is already a lot of threads on this subject already...but I can't work out how to delete this original post!!

All lacquer will wear through in patches. To restore, you then have to remove the old with paint stripper and re-varnish.

I have tried two coats using various spray cans and a one time favourite here,'Everbrite' was among the worst.

Although brass tarnishes quite quickly, the best you can do for jewellery is to accept it, or when it gets too bad use a silver dip solution. Dennis.

Ah, so my plan to polish up and laquer the exposed copper pipes in my new kitchen is doomed to failure then?

It is if you plan to wear them, Lauren. regards, Dennis.

Also, Cousins have some lacquers specifically for brass and used in the clock industry. One of those might work? https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/lacquers-rapid-drying.