Thread: Hallmarking PLEASE HELP :)

Default Hallmarking PLEASE HELP :)

Hiya everyone, I'm Clair and I'm new to cooksongold and new to the whole stamping world but I'm loving it so far!

I would like to sell Silver Jewellery and have obviously done some research about having to Hallmark etc....

However due to ONLY just starting out I will be starting small even with Aluminium Bangles...

I've read on Goldsmiths/AssayOffice that if the Silver weighs under 7.78g you don't have to have it hallmarked to be able to sell? have i understood that correctly or incorrectly?

I do eventually want to Register so I can sell Silver Bangles which are obviously a lot more in weight but right now I'm trying to start off small and learn the ropes

Also... I know it'll make me sound ridiculous but I'm assuming you don't hallmark Aluminium?

Answers/Replies will be very appreciated!
    Thanks in advance

Clair

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi Clair

welcome to the forum.

You are indeed correct silver only needs assaying once it has reached the magic number, although some (including myself) send it in regardless. It is a lovely thing to see on your work, if you are using precious metals. Speaking of, if you co-use a precious with a nonprecious and the weight takes you over the legal weight (so, for example; any gold added, and the combined weight is 1gram or more) you will need to submit for mixed metal marking, that will include a 'part mark'. All submissions to the assay office require either you to send in with your maker's (sponsor) mark or get the assay team to do that. If you have a one off piece, I know the Goldsmiths' Hall will add their mark to it for you.

You have got to grips with it well

Welcome to the forum Clair,

I'm assuming that you are in the UK...

https://theassayoffice.co.uk/uploads...tals-in-uk.pdf

So yes, if the item is below the stated weights you do not have to get it hallmarked but if you are selling precious metals in this country you must display the dealers notice explaining fineness of metals and hallmarks. Quite often a jeweller will have some pieces hallmarked and some not, depending on weights but the notice must be displayed if you are selling gold, silver, platinum or palladium. Hallmarks do not exist for aluminium, pewter or titanium but feel free to label them as such if you wish to do so.

Regards, Ceri.

Thank you so much for your replies it puts my mind at ease as I would of hated selling and then gotten in trouble. I'm starting off small with personalised charms/washers so they only weigh around 3g or so and then my aim is to register so that I can then sell heavier jewellery pieces which I'll prob send in the smaller things in too so it has that special touch😊

Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Ceri View Post
    Welcome to the forum Clair,

I'm assuming that you are in the UK...

https://theassayoffice.co.uk/uploads...tals-in-uk.pdf

So yes, if the item is below the stated weights you do not have to get it hallmarked but if you are selling precious metals in this country you must display the dealers notice explaining fineness of metals and hallmarks. Quite often a jeweller will have some pieces hallmarked and some not, depending on weights but the notice must be displayed if you are selling gold, silver, platinum or palladium. Hallmarks do not exist for aluminium, pewter or titanium but feel free to label them as such if you wish to do so.

Regards, Ceri.
    rather misleading in that the dealer notice is required for hallmarked precious metals.

If you are working exclusively under the threshold as many people who only use silver do and dont have a registered mark the dealer notice is as useful as a chocolate fireguard

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1711 View Post
    rather misleading in that the dealer notice is required for hallmarked precious metals.

If you are working exclusively under the threshold as many people who only use silver do and dont have a registered mark the dealer notice is as useful as a chocolate fireguard

ceri i meant the notice in your link not you personally {and what a swindle charging £10 robbing tikes}