Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flux As Glue. The Pangolin Revisited.

Default Flux As Glue. The Pangolin Revisited.

When I started Project Pangolin, I tried every which way to replicate the scaly surface and finally settled for a roll texture using mesh.

I would very much have liked to use individual scales sliced from square wire and slightly domed, with a little solder sweated into the hollows, but was unable to keep them still enough when applying the torch. I also tried using paste solder, but the scales just skated on the curved surface of the formed body.

This eventually lead me to experiment with gum tragacanth, or at least the manmade version, tylose powder, which is used to firm up sugar for cake decorations. Just a small pinch, spatulated into Auflux will improve its adhesive properties and burn away cleanly during soldering.

So this version was done, dipping each solder primed scale into my gluey flux and then arranging them in rows, about six at a time for sweating onto the background made from sheet as before.

It isn’t yet completely successful, but I thought promising enough to show you. This pangolin is having a bad scale day, but with a little more patience and refinement, it could be improved at the third attempt.

Link to Part 1: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...light=pangolin

Body made from 0.8mm sheet
    Scales cut from 2.5mm wire (about 150 of them)
    ClassiKool Edible Tylose Powder.
    Size: 65mmx27mm. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Np3 Counting Slices.jpg   Np1 Pangolin r.jpg   Np2 Pangolin l.jpg  

Oooh Dennis, this is lovely - what a good idea, and what a labour of love. Each scale being individual is a great example of the kind of detail that goes to make a piece very special indeed. Though pangolin mark 1 was wonderful too. I guess the method of keeping things in place may help with getting the little balls to stick to a curved surface for granulation too. Thanks for sharing.
    Sue

That's wonderful Dennis, you must have the patience of a saint. Do you know how many hours you've put in?

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Brilliant result, simply amazing Dennis. Such a lovely (and almost extinct) creature and perfect justice given to it.

Beautiful Dennis and a great explanation of the work that you have done. Thanks for sharing that .

I think it's completely fabulous

Thank you all for looking in and liking Pangolin2. I quite enjoy long winded projects, but it's time to move on now. I guess time taken was about twelve hours. Dennis.

Very nice, Dennis. Thanks for showing it.

some one has lots of patience really nice result

Nicely done Dennis.

What a wonderfully creative solution to use gum.
    I love to see the different ways that different people solve problems.
    I'd have drilled and pinned each scale to the body overlapping to hide each pin.
    It is lovely to see the work that you put into the details!

Ceri.

I