Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ginkgo leaf WIP

Default Ginkgo leaf WIP

As some people will know, I've put this up on Facebook already - but despite Zuckerberg's belief, not everyone actually uses the site...

Back in November I spent a week at Ford Hallam's learning the basics of Japanese carving. All hammer & chisel work (with some input from saws & files), no power tools or similar. I wasn't entirely satisfied with the exercise we worked on there, so I've finally found some time to redo it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170103_121032.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	9758

This is a 1.2mm piece of copper that has been textured, the edge raised and then domed; into that is inlaid a 2.1mm thick piece of shibuichi pierced into a ginkgo leaf shape. No solder, this is entirely mechanical.

I still need to finish bringing the copper flush with the inlay, then carve & scrape the metal around the inlay, carve the shibuichi to give it more form, scrape it and polish it with pumice and finally patinate it. I'll add a few more photos along the way.

I'm being a bit slow here, and full of questions!
    Is the inlay secured by the carving and scraping? Did you make the shibuichi yourself?
    Did you learn some of the traditional Japanese patination techniques that involves the big radishy vegetable and a lovely brown finish?
    Being one of those not on Facebook, I will be following this thread with great interest
    Sally

Questions are good - I might not know the answers, but I can fill in some of the gaps.

There's no scraping in securing the inlay - the cavity is chiselled out, the raised burr is punched level with the surface to lock the inlay in place. All the chisels (tagane) and punches were made as part of the course.
    I didn't make this shibuichi - this came from Reactive Metals in the US - but I have done before.
    Patination will be done with rokusho; the use of daikon beforehand is part of the pre-treatment - it seems to help both with the cleaning and the development of the colour.

Will you be making the rokusho?
    I once bought one of the radishes with the intention of having a go - but it withered and shrivelled in the fridge before I got round to sourcing the rest of the chemicals!
    Sally

Looks fantastic Peter .Theres some awesome videos on the web somewhere of Ford Hallam doing what Peter is describing well worth getting a brew and a turkey butty and sitting down and watching If you havent seen them before.

such a cool process
    Last edited by josef1; 03-01-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sally- View Post
    Will you be making the rokusho?
    I'll be trying... I have an idea as to what the stuff actually is now, but I won't know until I've tested it.

I once bought one of the radishes with the intention of having a go - but it withered and shrivelled in the fridge before I got round to sourcing the rest of the chemicals!
    Slice. Freeze.
    (Optional - label it!)
    Last edited by ps_bond; 03-01-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Looking forward to seeing more of this one Peter

I love your work ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Daveyboyz View Post
    I love your work ^^
    You know that's Ford in the video, not me?