Thread: Issues with silver double loop/hoop earrings

Default Issues with silver double loop/hoop earrings

Hi,

I am working hard on practicing my soldering technique & one of the projects I have given myself is to work on a pair of silver double loop/hoop earrings as allows me to solder various components such as 2 rings joined as a chain and also soldering on earring posts. However, I feel like I am missing something here as it is extremely difficult to shape the double loop/hoop on a mandrel as they are connected in a chain fashion. Am I doing something wrong or should I keep working on it and it will eventually take shape? Essentially I would like to end up with something like the picture below!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earrings.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	10189

Cheers,

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

This would be my method...

Make your hoops separately on a mandrel.
    Solder one closed using a small piece of solder under the join. As long as the join meets perfectly and the join is fluxed, the solder will flow up the join when you heat the hoop, not directly on the join.
    Open and close the second in the same manner that you would open and close a jump ring so that it is joined to the solid (soldered) hoop.
    Use a soft soldering block so that you can embed the 1st hoop standing upright to allow the second hoop that you are soldering to lie flat.
    Making sure that the join is away from the first hoop, solder the second hoop closed using a small piece of solder under the join and focusing the heat on the second hoop but again, not directly on the join.
    To solder the posts use a soft soldering block so that you can position the components and the solder to connect. if necessary use a 3rd hand or tweezers to position. It is tricky. It gets easier with practise.

Ceri

Hi Ceri,

Apologies in taking so long to reply with thanks! I printed off your advice and have been working using this method. It is working so much better thank you!

Best wishes,

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Glad I could help.

Regards and best wishes,

Ceri.