Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this an advertising piece of jewellery?

Default Is this an advertising piece of jewellery?

I have a very large, what I assume to be crystal ring with possibly a silver plate finish. It measures 83cm (3 and 1/4 inches) tall and is 57cm (2 and 1/4 inches wide).

The ring is very heavy and solidly made. My question is, have you ever seen one before and if so were they possibly used as jewellery shop display pieces? I have no idea who made it and am intrigued to find out more about it.

Any help or advice that would help me identify the maker, its use and materials used would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	10202

Are there any marks/stamps inside the ring shank? It looks like what would be called a dress ring or cocktail ring which go in and out of fashion but some women just like big rings

Edit: have just read the sizes in inches, is that correct, if so probably a window display
    Last edited by CJ57; 23-05-2017 at 11:00 AM.

I think maybe its mm not cm ! thats really cool

No, there are no marks that I can see.

It is CM not mm, it is a BIG ring. Too big for napkin ring or suchlike, I am guessing made for jewellers window displays or exhibitions but really would like to know more of its maker and materials.
    Photo below of it sat on a 1 litre soft drinks bottle neck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	10203

If no marks I doubt you'd be able to find out much unless someone worked for the company. Have you googled giant rings, although that might be quite dangerous who knows what that might throw up :0

Thanks CJ, I will have a search about and see what wonders appear before my eyes. I am assuming, rightly or wrongly that the it is crystal, it is very heavy.
    I will report back should I unearth anything.

If it's a diamond I would imagine you could retire and we won't hear from you again! It could just be cut glass but it looks a nice thing

A quick search did throw up some really large pieces, much larger than this one, all single stone and all coming from china!! Not the detail that mine has by any means.

They are advertising them for the following gift ideas - ¨oversized crystal diamond ring engagement proposed wedding souvenir gift creative romantic¨

Maybe that is all mine is but I really like it and its a conversation piece.

China is the bane of our lives. I don't quite think I'd be that excited by a souvenir engagement ring but then they do have some strange ideas

Quote Originally Posted by uptondownton View Post
    It is CM not mm, it is a BIG ring.
    At 83cm, you're saying it's nearly a metre tall. That drinks bottle it's on must be over 5 metres tall then. Do you have unusually large drinks bottles in your house, and an unusually large house?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    China is the bane of our lives.
    I know what you mean, Caroline, and take no offence, but China can and does produce some very high quality goods. I married one of them 14 years ago.
    Last edited by Aurarius; 23-05-2017 at 06:15 PM.