Thread: Right angle handpiece - Foredom pendant motor

Default Right angle handpiece - Foredom pendant motor

Evening all,

Does anyone own or have experience / suggestions of where I can get my hands on a right angled handpiece for my Foredom motor?

I want to drill at a right angle with small drill bits on pieces where I can't get proper access with a regular handpiece. Much like the ones dentists use I suppose.

I've noticed that a company called artco do one but they're hideously pricey!

Cheers,

Nick

Nick, I think your least expensive recourse would be to buy a Marathon micromotor with interchangeable contra and straight hand pieces.

As you know, I have written here that I have a Marathon as a spare and that I have enjoyed using it now for two years.
    Your only problem is that they take short latch type burs (with one r, you will note) and they are difficult to source in the UK unless your dentist will cooperate or give you used ones. Tungsten carbide would be preferable and could be imported. Dennis.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid=142125...&crdt=0&chn=ps

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cl...pe+dental+burs

To elaborate further, the control box you are familiar with.
    The foot control can be an on/off switch or a speed control. It can be left off and the machine used manually, which I personally prefer.
    In this case the micromotor is a barrel shaped object, which has a lead to plug it in to the control box.
    The stem on the barrel is the E type fitting, that the hand pieces click on to.
    In dental terms, one is called a straight hand piece and the other a contra angle handpiece.

The only source of confusion is the description on E bay, because the two words have been conflated and the picture is not necessarily what you will get and. You might have to contact the seller to be sure. Dennis.

What are you trying to do Nick?

Thanks for that Dennis, and perhaps ill look into buying one although I'm struggling to justufy it seeing as I'm perfectly happy with my pendant motor.

Chris: I'm making a few pieces that combine wood and silver. Theres a few times when soldering isnt practical because of the wood, and the odd occassion where I need to drill but cant get into a tight space with my normal pendant motor handpiece.

So I thought 'if' there was an attachment for my foredom whereby I could drill at a right angle in a confined space then that would be ideal. If you take the latest heart shaped ornament I posted recently, the solid silver heart is glued in place. Ideally I'd have preferred to have soldered on a short length of heavy gauge wire onto the side of the heart then glued it into a drilled hole in the wood. Basically a plug as it would have been less messy and possibly a bit stronger, but theres also other instances that I've come across every now and again where the same type of problem exists.

Cheers,

Nick