Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foredom Hammer Handpiece

Default Foredom Hammer Handpiece

Wishing you all a very happy Good Friday!

Have a question as per usual thats got me thinking, this time about the Hammer action hand pieces that are available for the Foredom pendant motors.

Does anyone regularly using one for flush setting stones, texturing pieces, or pushing over the edges of bezel settings and if so are they worth investing in?

I'm certain that if they are pretty effective at these tasks then they're still no substitute for being skilful enough to do things the traditional way, but even so Id be interested in peoples thoughts on here.

Many thanks,

Nick

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Hi Nick,

I have one, named it the Tesla2... (when my cat Tesla was a kitten she chewed through my original one...insurance is a good thing to have!)

I have only just started using it more in the last 8 months. Never for flush setting as it is not needed, however I do use it on bezels, and for texturing. I quite like it now that I have got used to working with it. Although mine is still very much under used at the moment as I do a lot of different styles that do not require it. You can tap bezels down (which I still do, and like to do. Uses more calories I am sure! Lol) and texturing can be done in many ways too without the use of it.

So then, is it worth it? Maybe if used on a regular basis, but it will be some time before you can recoup the cost. Is it worth it as a tool? Hell, yes! Loads of fun and in the long run a practical addition to the stone setting repertoire. (My own opinions of course)

Happy Easter one and all.

I was lucky in that mine paid for itself with one particular tricky large piece, which was what it was bought for to begin with.

However, I'd agree with Wallace, it's very much a luxury tool for me. I use it only occasionally, usually for particularly tricky bezels, but certainly don't need it. It can be fun to experiment with, though the sense of being slightly out of control can sometimes be a bit unnerving.

You've made me want to get it out to play with now!

I've got one, cos I thought I should but to be honest, I'm a bit scared of it.

Thanks for the replies everyone, and from what I gather you guys use the hammer handpiece mainly for texturing and the odd bezel setting. May still buy one as I'm overly curious as to what uses I can put it too.. Such as those mentioned.

Thanks as always,

Nick

Nick, you can never have too many tools. I don't have a Foredom, but I do use a Faro hammer head piece on my Renda pendant drill. I have used it for bezel setting and for texturing, I don't know much about Foredom tools but my Faro has screw in hammers which I shape up to make various textures.
    I used my hammerhead when texturing this crest and also for closing the bezel on this ring, after closing the bezel on the stone I did file away any marks left by the hammerhead before polishing.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steven Camberry crest.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	6015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	205 Cat. turq. ring 03.12.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	6014

I had thought that mine was in the tool graveyard, but have recently used it for a number of bezel settings,.....rather relieved really, since it was a lot of money invested in an unused bit of kit......finally paying for itself now though!!

(p.s. I know exactly what George means about being a little unnerved about whether I'm in control of it!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Nick, you can never have too many tools. I don't have a Foredom, but I do use a Faro hammer head piece on my Renda pendant drill. I have used it for bezel setting and for texturing, I don't know much about Foredom tools but my Faro has screw in hammers which I shape up to make various textures.
    I used my hammerhead when texturing this crest and also for closing the bezel on this ring, after closing the bezel on the stone I did file away any marks left by the hammerhead before polishing.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steven Camberry crest.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	6015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	205 Cat. turq. ring 03.12.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	6014
    James, I was just wondering, how thick was the sheet you started with on the ring bezel before you set it with the hammer head, filed, finished, etc..?? I have been using 1mm sheet (cutting a seat on the inside with a burr) and getting a reasonably tidy finish....
    May thanks,
    Jill

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    James, I was just wondering, how thick was the sheet you started with on the ring bezel before you set it with the hammer head, filed, finished, etc..?? I have been using 1mm sheet (cutting a seat on the inside with a burr) and getting a reasonably tidy finish....
    May thanks,
    Jill
    That ring had a 0.5mm. thick bezel wire Jill, it was just a stocking filler present for my daughter at Christmas, she always wants rings.

James