Thread: The Naughty Step.

Default The Naughty Step.

I was sent this lapel pin with the emblem of a Learned Society, asking for it to be made into a necklace, because the owner was not happy to make holes in her clothes. They are obviously not used to having women members.

My first picture shows the 1.10mm pin snipped off and the rather bulky pinback that went with it.

The emblem is made of white and red gold, stamped 10K and the suggestion was to add a back plate to increase its size, with a jump ring and chain.
    Having tried it for colour at Cookson’s Counter, 9ct yellow blended best for the additions.

Then came the decision on how to connect the emblem to the new back plate. Well, soldering was out for a start, because once heated and pickled, there would have been no chance of restoring the finish.

So cold connection was the only option for me, in house. It could have been by claw setting, or bezel setting, or screwing from behind.

I chose slow two-ton epoxy. Put me on the Naughty Step if you like, but it seemed the least fussy solution. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lp1. Pin snipped Off.jpg   Lp2. As A Necklace.jpg  

Not the naughty step at all Dennis; sometimes glue is the only option! I love what you have done with it and think its the best solution. Thanks for sharing.
    Jules

Thank you Jules, for looking and yoUr kind comments. Dennis.

Nothing wrong with epoxy, you know I like it for some things Dennis! My only worry would be if she chooses to shower in it, I've had customers wear mother of pearl, wood, inserts, tortoiseshell in the shower and then wonder why it degraded.
    I think it makes a much nicer pendant though, perhaps they should offer that option and pay you for the design!

Ha Ha, thank you Caroline, but I'm keen to preserve my amateur status.

I did worry about water, but the slow epoxy says that it will be waterproof when set. I didn't think to mention the dishwasher though. Dennis.

Well if that's the naughty step I'm at the top of the stairs very nice Dennis.

Yeh! I think most of have been and will be guilty of that

Thanks Maria and Bob. Seems I've been let off then. Dennis.