Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Design - Ornament

Default Hybrid Design - Ornament

Hi everyone,

Since deciding to make my own jewellery boxes for my rings, bracelets, pendants etc a while ago I've been getting more and more into woodworking, and I find that its compliments jewellery making fantastically well!

So.. I made my old Mum a heart shaped hanging ornament from some scrap Oak I had in the mancave a month or so ago, and from there its developed into making many more of various designs for my other jewellery customers.

Thought you might like to see a few pics, despite them not being jewellery strictly speaking.

These are recent ones made this week. Both from solid Oak with silver bails, and the fancy one has a solid silver heart cast in cuttlefish. Cheers everyone.

Nick

They have a country craft look, very nostalgic for a townie like me Nick. I see you have a mini belt sander which is good for woodwork, but hard on fingers. Dennis.

I like that, being a Cabinet maker by trade I make many of my own boxes, I have made many items of jewellery from various timbers over the years, substituting timber for stones in rings
    and pedants can really look nice

Thanks Dennis and I was aiming for an organic crafty look so I'm pleased at that.

The belt sander is actually a bit of a beast and quite large and powerful. It's a Robert Sorby Pro-Edge sharpening system and it's primarily used for honing and reprofiling my lathe chisels. I do have a small bench mounted one too that's powered by my foredom pendant motor.

Cheers,

Nick

It's nice to see these, Nick. What treatment do you give the wood to finish off? Several coats of polyurethane varnish sanded between coats?

I'm a bit worried you have to have a mancave, unless you call the whole house your mancave.

They're simply sanded to 2000 grit, have finishing oil applied, then buffed with several different Menzerna polishing compounds as you would with jewellery.

My mancave is my garage. Totally taken over with tools and machinery

Nick

Those are lovely Nick, I especially love the big heart with the cut out section.

Thankyou! They're both roughly 3" square and people like to hang them from walls, windows and so on.

I enjoy making them too which is a bonus

Nick

Lovely!

How does the silver heart adhere to the wooden one if you don't mind my asking?

I made my eldest boy a cherry wood plectrum from home grown wood and cut it like a cab.