I just wanted to ask other jewellers their opinion on the classing of high jewellery vs Fine jewellery. Increasingly I am frustrated when looking at comparisons in order to price work. A number of websites list Jewellery as fine if it is made with pure precious metals, some if it is 18ct gold or above and others seem to consider jewellery to be fine if it is made of vermeil or even plated (undescribed so probably base) metal.

I am also confused as to how these two terms are applied to gemstones. If a ruby or sapphire is diffusion heated and glass or borax filled, should it really be presented as 'a natural ruby' alongside natural rubies that show their flaws? Is there a particular standard of treatment (or lack thereof) that makes the difference between a commercial gem and a fine one? Does high jewellery or fine jewellery always sell with a certificate of providence or GIA or Anchorcert paperwork in order to prove it's credentials and do you as jewellers believe that it should? I am asking because I want to know if I am the only one who often feels like they are selling on an uneven playing field because I want to be completely honest with my customers. In an ideal world I would pay to have every gemstone I use certified in the same way that we hallmark metals but would customers pay the premium for that?

The final part of the question is, does design make a piece fine or high jewellery or manufacture? Is it still fine jewellery if it is mass produced or as a limited run as opposed to an individual piece?

Let me know if my thoughts are way off base or if there is any agreement because at the moment I feel like I'm on unstable ground!
Ceri.