Thread: Setting rough stones

Default Setting rough stones

Hello,

Has anyone got any advice about basic ring settings for rough stones?

Thanks,
    Emma

You can burnish a piece of thin fine silver bezel strip, or use claws placed strategically of different lengths.

When I set my safety glass fragments, I made a back plate to seat them and then used thin wire in the shape of staples. You will note that for the ring, I built a fence to protect it from knocks. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sg Safety Glass 1.jpg   sg Safety Glass Ring.jpg   sg Safety Glass Ear Studs.jpg  

Thank you Dennis, that's very helpful

Great design Dennis. Beautiful and practical.

Going back to the original question, I tend to make a paper of soft card pattern to test my designs for rough stone setting so that I can work out if there is enough coverage to protect the stone and hold it firm. This approach is particularly useful when creating an uneven bezel setting but could easily be applied to claw or any other type of setting. You could use thicker (corrugated) card to work out gypsy type settings...I'm not sure how the concept of a flush setting would work with rough stones but I guess it depends on the shape of the rough! The only other advice I would give is to know your gemstone and recognise the best way (direction) to set the rough. Even a diamond will split along it's cleavage if tapped in the wrong place.

good luck,
    Ceri.

This isn't rough but requested upside down set...as a pseudo style in the customers words...however try keeping the metal work even.
    Flush setting you can "possibly" but you may need a small burr to shape the hole to fit rather than round..it'll depend if you can get a level list edge to sink down abit.

I use burrs to cut away the metal under areas of rough that are really bumpy, and usually opt for claw settings as you can completely tailor them to the piece of rough. The only time that's not the case is if I'm working with opal rough, which I'll shape myself and bezel set.

I set a lot of rough stones and tend to do a prong setting. It really depends on the rough you are setting though.

Default rough stones setting

just write in google, rough stones setting and choose images in results to see some ideas about one.

I can not post url, because I dot have enough post yet so you will do it yourself.

I electroform mine in copper and then either leave them or plate in silverClick image for larger version. 

Name:	il_570xN.1200115796_pt44.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	10294