Thread: Stress over Custom Piece - Any help please??

Default Stress over Custom Piece - Any help please??

I was commissioned by my uncle to make a custom "birds nest" bangle cuff (attached)for my aunt's Christmas and then he asked soon after to make a matching necklace for her birthday in June.

Sadly a week later we were told my mum was terminal. I shut my store to focus on her but now he's chasing up on my progress since it's only a month away.
    I am still learning techniques but often I have a lot of time to practice but I'm spending so much time looking after my mum that I've fallen behind.

The issue is, my head is like fluff, I have gone through so much copper trying to come up with ideas but so far nothing i would be happy to show him before making it in silver.

Could anyone give me any guidance on anything I can look towards for ideas or inspiration - I've tried to make a collarette but I don't feel I am making it sit correctly and my aunt is big on large silver statement necklaces so feeling chockers and collars are a bit tame for her.

I'd hate to tell him I can't do it , he's given me loads of time but sadly I've misjudged time.

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB_IMG_1494356268886.jpg  

I'm not really sure how I'd do a matching necklace to the original design. It won't lend itself to the neck in the same way and would probably need a few fittings on your Aunt to get it right. I do feel that your personal circumstances have changed and he must surely know that. Apart from anything it's probably the reason why you are having difficulty with the design and I would have thought that he would understand if you don't feel able to meet this Birthday. Is it a special birthday, can he not delay the gift until the next one? You're putting yourself under greater stress at this really difficult time, I know and I can only sympathise. You need to look after yourself as well as your Mum and I would be tempted to talk to him. Probably not what you wanted to hear

Why not produce a more conventional necklace as a stop gap until your circumstances improve. A pendant along the lines of a Russian wedding band as below, but without the stone, would be simple and chime with the cuff.

Alternatively, an enlarged version of your cuff, but with only three strands, could end at the collar bone on each side and be connected around the back with a heavy chain and a hook fastener, to allow adjustment. This would address Caroline's concern about fitting .

As a rule a range of 39-42 cm will fit anyone. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moonstone Pendant.jpg  

Thanks CJ57 and Dennis, it really has been a very stressful time and in and out of hospital with all the problems cancer brings but I hate to disappoint on a promise.
    Sadly it is a big birthday -60 - I designed the bracelet thinking it was a solo piece but she loves it so much that he wanted a matching item.

I will look i to your idea Dennis, I've been so focused on matching it to the cuff that I've wasted so much material but thankfully I do havey aunt's measurements from previous pieces I've made for my family.

Thanks is guys, I was just so flustered last night when I realised I had 4 weeks to go and threw myself into a panic.

Xxx

You could always write a personalised gift card, so that you can continue working on the project but give it after the birthday.

I'm really sorry to hear of your worries. Watching someone you love slowly fade away is an incredibly difficult process of protracted grieving. You need to focus on your mother but you also need to make time for yourself and be kind to yourself. I hope that you have the support of your family when you need it, including your aunt and uncle.

The personalised gift card could work. You could sketch/paint 3 or 4 different designs for your aunt to select from... (the only problem I foresee is that that if she loves them all your uncle might well be commissioning a new piece every year for her). Broach your uncle with the card idea. He might be enquiring as to progress because he knows how stretched you are and might want to make contingency plans for a present for his wife so that you aren't panicked when you have other matters that take priority.

Best wishes.

Be honest. Say that because of your mother's illness your design ideas are not working and you cannot concentrate at the moment. But (if you can) how about some matching earrings,which might lend themselves better to a match for the bracelet anyway
    I reckon earrings and bracelet are a great combo while necklace and bracelet can be a bit matchy matchy
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I pm'd you pretty much all of the above apart from the gift token but making it later and extending her special day for months ahead.

Firstly condolences on the sad news of your Mum.

Making a necklace to that design wouldnt be that tricky, just make the links interlocking like the bangle, albeit in smaller circles and you're sorted.

Nick