Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Done With Fiddly.

Default Done With Fiddly.

Every now and then I’m done with fiddly items and long to get on with something bigger. It was time to buy in some hefty square wire for a belt buckle, mitre and solder it up, contour it with my mini belt sander and fix it to a cut and punched leather strap with chicago screws-- et voila.

Wire for buckle, 6.0mm square.
    Outside measurements, 50 x 50mm. Width of leather strap 38 mm. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jb1 Mini Belt And Disk Sander.jpg   Jb2The Chicago Screws.jpg   Jb3 Belt For Jeans.jpg  

I like that is it for yourself, I dabble in leather work now and then, don't think too many buyers would line up for a solid silver buckle, maybe I just always just struck the stingy ones

I love that Dennis. There's something extremely satisfying about a good chunk of metal on a belt!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

love your buckles Dennis - they draw me in! Beautiful work

That's aweseome Dennis, and I bet still less expensive than a fancy branded one, and better being unique and handmade

Faith

Very nice, Dennis!
    What other tools/fixings do you use or need to attach the buckle to the belt?

I want to try and make a buckle Dennis.
    Could we see a pic or have details of how you attach the prong to the hidden cross piece.
    I know you have made several, are they holding up ok, in particular the prongy bit, presumably you work harden the life out of them.
    Cheers
    Martyn

Thank you all for your kind comments and questions:

1.I only make these for family and this is one of the heavier ones at about 40g.

2.The satisfaction is not only in the weight, but in the very white colour, which despite dents and scratches persists if worn regularly.

3.The finish is by texturing wheel at the back and sides, which at a stroke minimises any imperfections. The front is slightly rounded
    with my sander, and then rubbed up with a sanding block http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexovit-s...ack-of-6/70902, also shown at the back of my second picture.

4.The leather, being for a one off was from an Xlong belt bought in a sale. So the special tools were only dividers to mark out the centres, a hole punch, a Stanley knife, a metal square and a skiver to thin the leather for the bend around the cross bar. My picture shows more than were used for this.

5. The prong is of 4mm oval wire hard drawn by me. It is thinned at one end and then bent around the cross bar after all soldering had been completed. it is kept centered by the leather
    The buckles appear to have a very long life, it is only the leather that on some has been replaced after ten years or so. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bbs 3 Tools For Leather.jpg   Finishing Tools.jpg  

Thank you