Thread: How is this done?

Default How is this done?

Hi,

I have started to work with silver and would love to make a ring or earrings with this type of "nugget" detail in silver. I have melted down scraps to form a ball shape but I can't seem to achieve this type of effect when I attempt to flatten it out while it is red hot. I know there are dome shape tools I can get to create the shape - is this what I need to do?Or is there a simple technique/tool I can use after heating to create this kind of nugget effect?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nugget ring.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	10158

Cheers,

Michelle

A piece of metal sheet is reticulated for the texture. Then a disk is cut from this, using a disk cutting set. Next the disk is domed in a brass doming block, using a wooden doming punch and a soft (wood,plastic, or hide hammer). This combination will preserve the texture.

For further information it would be best to study from a book, U tube videos, or go on a beginners course.

Much of this is shown in a book for beginners called Two in One Manuals, Jewellery by Madeline Coles. The tools can be found on Cooksons website. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Apologies, I totally forgot to check my computer re: responses. Thank you so much for such a detailed answer! I really appreciated it & realise now how wrong I had it !

Thank you,

Michelle

OK Michelle, keep asking. The forum members love questions. Dennis.