Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition May 2017 - Golden

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Some really lovely entries this month!
    These are some rose gold earrings I designed and made with diamond, sapphire and alexandrite.
    Attachment 10220
    Are they colour change alexandrites? Although I was a geologist in a former life, I have never seen colour change alexandrite in the flesh. Wondering if it is as interesting as it sounds. I know they are usually small stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkmaiden View Post
    I have never seen colour change alexandrite in the flesh.
    I think you have to insult them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkmaiden View Post
    Are they colour change alexandrites? Although I was a geologist in a former life, I have never seen colour change alexandrite in the flesh. Wondering if it is as interesting as it sounds. I know they are usually small stones.
    Yes it is a well known phenomenon in this stone, together with garnet and spinel; of course only some stones.

See here

Hi everyone,

Just a gentle reminder that this themed competition ends tomorrow, 31st May - so enter your golden themed design now if you haven't already!

Good luck

Jen

Hi snorkmaiden,
    Actually the bezel was not hard to push over. The bezel strip was really springy and difficult to shape around the stone, but after soldering to the ring it must have been nicely annealed!, and pushed over no problem. My daughter is so pleased it's for her (just when I'd decided she probably wouldn't want it as she prefers white metal, and had thought that I would keep for myself!).haha

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    Hi snorkmaiden,
    Actually the bezel was not hard to push over. The bezel strip was really springy and difficult to shape around the stone, but after soldering to the ring it must have been nicely annealed!, and pushed over no problem. My daughter is so pleased it's for her (just when I'd decided she probably wouldn't want it as she prefers white metal, and had thought that I would keep for myself!).haha
    Phew! Glad she appreciated it. Gold and garnets is such an attractive combination. Looks like I need to track down some Alexandrite now. Not sure about insulting it though!?!

Sounds exciting, are you after a colour change one, what are you planning to do with it? questions, questions.

Some amazing entries so far!

I'd like to enter this yellow gold ring I made by melting down a customers old rings

Below are some photos of what I started with and some of the making process

Love this ring. Really classy.