Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition May 2017 - Golden

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkmaiden View Post
    Ohh! love the coliseum bangle! Elinor.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

Don't forget, our golden themed competition must end next week, on Wednesday 31st May - so there is still time to enter if you haven't already!

Best of luck

Jen

Hi all

Here's a bumper crop of entries from me, though they stretch the theme a little.
    First up is a stack of my glacier bangles in bronze. They are modelled in wax, then cast. At this stage they haven't had the sprues removed or been polished - probably something to do with the fact my pendant motor has just gone phut and needs to be replaced!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	10207

Next up is a suite of pieces in silver and citrine. The metal was pre-cut by Cooksons and then I textured it in the rolling mill before soldering bezels in place. I find it difficult to cut for any length of time, so this is a really helpful service.
    Not all the stones are fully set yet.
    It's unusual for me to work directly with metal since it tends to become disobedient! Or possibly I just can't get my hands to make what's in my head!

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	10208

Last up, and one of my own favourite pieces is my seahorse kiltpin. This one actually involves some gold as the emerald eye is tube set in gold. It was modelled in lots of tiny bits of textured wax, all overlapping and took a while to build. The main challenge is in making the model sturdy enough to survive a trip to the casting house by post, yet not to be too heavy so it damages the fabric of the kilt.

Name:	IMG_0322.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	10209

Anyway, I'd love to know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenNorth View Post
    Hi all

Here's a bumper crop of entries from me, though they stretch the theme a little.
    First up is a stack of my glacier bangles in bronze. They are modelled in wax, then cast. At this stage they haven't had the sprues removed or been polished - probably something to do with the fact my pendant motor has just gone phut and needs to be replaced!

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	10207

Next up is a suite of pieces in silver and citrine. The metal was pre-cut by Cooksons and then I textured it in the rolling mill before soldering bezels in place. I find it difficult to cut for any length of time, so this is a really helpful service.
    Not all the stones are fully set yet.
    It's unusual for me to work directly with metal since it tends to become disobedient! Or possibly I just can't get my hands to make what's in my head!

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	10208

Last up, and one of my own favourite pieces is my seahorse kiltpin. This one actually involves some gold as the emerald eye is tube set in gold. It was modelled in lots of tiny bits of textured wax, all overlapping and took a while to build. The main challenge is in making the model sturdy enough to survive a trip to the casting house by post, yet not to be too heavy so it damages the fabric of the kilt.

Name:	IMG_0322.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	10209

Anyway, I'd love to know what you think.
    Thanks for your entries FrozenNorth, these are all lovely!

I'm afraid we are only able to accept one entry per person for each of our competitions however, so would you mind letting us know which of these you would like us to consider as your entry for this particular contest?

Thanks,

Jen

I'm fairly new to jewellery making, so my effort is fairly simplistic.

I made a couple of thin simple rings made from 9ct gold with tube set stones - one with a diamond, one with a sapphire. This was my first attempt working with gold, so I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

Name:	IMG_20170305_220415.jpg 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	10211

Name:	IMG_20170226_100803.jpg 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	10212

Name:	IMG_20170225_100518.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	10213

Oops, I didn't realise that!
    I guess I'd go with the kilt pin as it's my own favourite.

I'm loving everyone's entries this month. Here's mine
    The first piece I've made in gold, 9ct d wire and 9ct bezel strip, with a bit of thin sheet for the bezel back and a garnet - cushion cab.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	10217

I only tend to use gold for accents - a Ruby ring with gold ballsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000888.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	10218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010045.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	10219
    Last edited by theresa; 26-05-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Hi Joella, is that the one with the difficult bezel to push? Looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    I'm loving everyone's entries this month. Here's mine
    The first piece I've made in gold, 9ct d wire and 9ct bezel strip, with a bit of thin sheet for the bezel back and a garnet - cushion cab.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	10217

Some really lovely entries this month!
    These are some rose gold earrings I designed and made with diamond, sapphire and alexandrite.

Name:	sarahhughesearrings.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	10220