Thread: Easter project (more flush setting)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Easter project (more flush setting)

Hi all,

With five whole days off for easter i decided to learn flush setting. Having never done it before I devised a project that would involve a lot of flush setting to give myself practice, and (in case the first attempts were irretrievable) did two practice settings first in some scrap sheet before starting on these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6672_TempEdit.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	10139

The large stones are green quartz checkerboard cabs (8mm), and each "halo" is comprised twelve 1.5mm zircons.

I have two main criticisms of my own, firstly I thought i could do the halo stone placement by eye - turns out not so much. The kindest thing you could say is it looks a bit rustic - and rustic wasn't what i was shooting for, i should have employed maths or a template or something?

Secondly i'm not that happy with the finish. The backs were fine before i soldered the wires, at which point the back face developed some tiny pits (from the heat I guess), and with the wires on, i no longer had a flat surface to emery, so did the best i could with radial disks. The fronts were fine until i slipped on a couple of the flush settings. I got the scratches out with tiny everflex flame tips, but overall neither side has the perfect flat mirror finish i was after, and i'm not sure what to do at this stage - surely compound would not be safe over the stones...

All in all though i'm fairly pleased with them for a project, and will wear them, they remind me of those little metal cotton reels for sewing machines!

Any feedback or tips for improvement would be gratefully received

Faith
    Last edited by Faith; 01-05-2017 at 02:23 PM.