Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bezel setting problem

Default Bezel setting problem

I am attempting to bezel set a cab for the very first time for a birthday present for next week and I just cant seem to get it right...sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldnt find anything...basically I have soldered the fine silver bezel and it fits perfectly but have been trying to solder this to the 3x3cm piece of 0.5mm sheet but just cant get it to stay or to get the solder to melt. Im using a handheld little torch from Cooksons and easy solder...I have been trying to heat the sheet first and the whole thing seems to be heating up and glows red but nothing else is happening...does anyone have any ideas on what I am doing wrong??? Its driving me a bit crazy

Hi Trudy,

What kind of solder are you using (strip, paste etc). If you are using strip are you using flux?

Sometimes when I have issues with soldering I will quench the piece and clean off the solder and flux and start again making fure the piece is clean and my join is perfect (or as perfect as I can get it should I say ).

Also, bear in mind that the hottest part of the flame on your torch will be towards the tip of the blue cone.
    Lucinda

Ive been using pallions of strip...around 7 little ones and liquid flux.
    Ive attempted it three times now and have been cleaning it off with a bit of wire wool in between but maybe its still not clean enough...I will have another go at I was wondering whether the torch just isnt powerful enough to keep the whole thing hot...but I guess it should be??

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohn View Post
    Trudy, make sure that your torch is completely full of Butane, those little cooksons torches hate even being half empty.

Make sure the little hole is wide open, this will allow more air in the mix raising the temperature.

You should have no problems soldering something so fine, should heat up terribly quickly. Make sure also that the hottest part of the flame is 1 to 2 cm away from the surface of the silver. Also perch the piece on a couple of two penny pieces so the block doesn't sap away all the heat, with a gap in between the coins.

Good luck.
    Excellent, thanks...I didnt want to keep on going at it to then be told it couldnt be done, if you know what I mean....

Great idea about the pennies, will definitely try that and I think you are also right there about the butane not being full enough...will fill it up completely and have another go at it

Jason's absolutely right. You need to get the heat on and under the sheet, I barely heat the bezel strip at all. The surface you solder on can make a big difference - charcoal reflects heat really well and is usually OK to just rest on, otherwise, if you haven't got a wig or tripod, try balling some binding wire to make a 'nest' to rest the piece on.

It can also help to trim your sheet down to not much bigger than the setting, so you're not having to heat up too large an area.

Default Thank you! :)

Just wanted to say thanks for all your advice earlier...I managed to get the bezel wire attached to the base by doing all of the things that you suggested. I then stupidly cut it down a bit too low I think but I pushed it over and I think it will do for me and isnt too bad for a very first attempt but I will start a fresh one tomorrow for the present

Lol cant wait to see the end product
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Hope this has worked...here it is...not perfect in any way but hopefully I will get better

Neato work & fabulous first go, my first go did not look that neat
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Well done Trudy I see what you mean about the bezel height, but that's just about practice. Nice integral bail though!

It's a lovely feeling when something works for the first time