Thread: Advice on Mount Making and Stone Setting

Default Advice on Mount Making and Stone Setting

Hi Everyone,

I have booked a course in mount making and stone setting with Sonia Cheadle in June. I have been eager to learn how to create settings for faceted stones for a while, so i booked the course without a second thought. As the course date is approaching i am getting a little anxious and doubting my abilities. I am getting thoughts in my head that i will be the only one in the class who will not understand anything and that is making me even more nervous about the course.

My question is can anyone direct me to some online tutorials, books or give me any advice on how to construct mounts for faceted stones. I ordered the book my Sonia Cheadle, i am waiting for that to arrive.

I am hoping to practice prior to the course that way i can make the most of the two day class. The course i will be attending is linked below.

http://www.goldsmiths-centre.org/wha...ing-june-2016/

Thank you
    Sofina
    Last edited by cartres; 19-04-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Sofina, I have been teaching myself how to set and build mounts for the last year.
    Honestly if I can teach myself (and without sounding arrogant I feel im getting half decent) I imagine you will be find on your course.
    After all that is the reason we go to classes, to learn.

You could start by looking at today's thread entitled
    'Book recommendations? Multi stone settings and polishing them?'

If you are just a beginner in jewellery making, you might well contact the tutor to discuss your concerns and what preparation would be useful. I have been on an unsuitable course myself once and suffered it for a week. Not recommended. Dennis

Hi Sofina,

The people at the Goldsmiths Centre are a lovely, friendly welcoming bunch. Please don't worry. They also keep the classes to a size where the tutor can give you the attention and assistance you need. If you google "making claw settings" (or bezel, flush, pave, gypsy, bright or any other setting) you will be able to find some instructional videos on youtube. These will reassure you that the basic techniques for construction are doable but like anything else, practise and experience are necessary to become proficient. Attending this course means that you get those hints and tips that professionals use to make mount making and stone setting seem a doddle. Have fun and enjoy the course and let us know how it goes!

Good luck
    Ceri

You don't need to be too concerned, if you new everything to start with you would not need to do a course

Sofina, you sound just like me. That's the reason I've been avoiding doing courses for fear I'll be the one holding everybody else up...although I do have anxiety issues anyway!! Having said that I have managed to do some basic bezels for cabochons and some step bezels for faceted stones by just reading books and watching online videos, I've not ventured into anything more complicated as yet. You might want to look up Andrew Berry and Soham Harrison on youtube. Good luck with your course, I'd be interested to hear how you get on.