Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stringing pearls

Smile Stringing pearls

Hello everyone! Believe it or not I've never made a beaded necklace, promised my granny I'd make her a pearl necklace for next Saturday, but I'm making the shopping list on cooksons and finding it hard to picture the ends. So I am getting pearls, I have two types of nylon thread at home already (thats ok right?). I like the look of a ring and T bar fastening (nice and easy for granny to do up) but how does one attach the nylon thread to the ring and T bar? Is it just a simple knot or is there a fancy knot or some kind of crimp type affair holding the two strands together?

Lol... I can never just ask a simple question, I have to ramble on about it

You could use sterling calottes over crimps or knots to give it a neat finish, then the clasp would attach to them
    Last edited by Trudy; 15-09-2009 at 08:19 AM.

The traditional way to string pearls is with silk cord and knot between each pearl, you can sometimes use the cord the pearls are actually strung on! You could put your cord/thread through a calotte, knot it with a surgeons knot, put some glue on it and then connect the calotte through whatever clasp you choose. I have made some pearl necklaces for my mum in law and used magnetic clasps, as they are even easier to open and close (not for anyone who has a pacemaker though!). If you are using nylon thread, I wouldn't crimp, as that may break the nylon.

I'm sure you'll get plenty more suggestions too from others.

good luck
    Jules x

Thumbs up

Ahhh excellent, thank you very much, added a pack to my shopping list. I assume you just bend the end over in to a link type loop? Just a few normal knots and squash the cupped part over?

That's right!

J

I usually use silk (or a silk/nylon mix) for stringing pearls, and I knot them. I use the fine tweezer and overhand knot method, others prefer a needle, or a tri-tool. You can string them too though! Either way, the easiest way to attach the clasp is to drill out the last three pearls at each end (so they'll take a double strand of silk) and use gimp to cover the loop that goes through the ring. I don't get my gimp from Cooksons (sorry guys) because they don't have it in sterling for some reason.

You can also use callottes, but I'm never that happy with how secure they are.

There are a couple of excellent pearl knotting videos on youtube if you want to try doing it that way.

Thanks petal, I've added some silk to my shopping list too, thanks for the knotting tips. Is superglue ok or is there something better? I'm quite looking forward to making the set now (clip on earrings, bracelet and necklace).

With the knots between each pearl would I keep the knots as close to the pearl as possible?

Thanks George. I saw that gimp stuff while browsing and couldn't understand how it would be used? Is it like a tube made of spiralled metal (image is too small for me to decipher) which you squash on to the cord? Sorry if I sound a bit dim but this is a whole new world to me! Good tip on the bigger holes on the last pearls, I do like things to be nice a neat!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    Thanks George. I saw that gimp stuff while browsing and couldn't understand how it would be used? Is it like a tube made of spiralled metal (image is too small for me to decipher) which you squash on to the cord? Sorry if I sound a bit dim but this is a whole new world to me! Good tip on the bigger holes on the last pearls, I do like things to be nice a neat!
    It is like a tiny coil of wire but not springy...you cut a little piece and use it over the silk by threading it through at the end...to protect it from rubbing against the metal findings...hope that makes sense

Here's a video that shows you what you need and what you need to do

YouTube - RioGrande1944's Channel

Gimp is a very fine spiral of silver