Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stringing pearls

I been string pearls over the summer using the knotting and gimp methods etc, but whilst at the IJL show i got chatting with a lovely lady who was stringing on a stand and using a different technique for the knot which looked far less complicated than the one i was taught and gave a very neat knot

I think a lot of it also had to do with the quality of the silk - just looking at it i could see the quality of it and so she told me what she used Pearsall silk, expensive but iHAVE to get me some
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I usually use silk (or a silk/nylon mix) for stringing pearls, and I knot them. I use the fine tweezer and overhand knot method, others prefer a needle, or a tri-tool. You can string them too though! Either way, the easiest way to attach the clasp is to drill out the last three pearls at each end (so they'll take a double strand of silk) and use gimp to cover the loop that goes through the ring. I don't get my gimp from Cooksons (sorry guys) because they don't have it in sterling for some reason.

You can also use callottes, but I'm never that happy with how secure they are.

There are a couple of excellent pearl knotting videos on youtube if you want to try doing it that way.
    Thanks for the useful info George! I knot mine using a needle, but its nowhere near as good as that knotting tool.

You mention not being happy with calottes being that secure, what do you (or others) use for multistranded necklaces/bracelets then?

Jules x

I don't get on at all with the tri-knotting tool. I'm told it's fine if you've never used anything else, but I hated it!

Try these (very home-made video, but good technique)

YouTube - Pearl Knotting 101 - Part 1
    and
    YouTube - Pearl Knotting 101 - Part 2

These show the tweezer method, which for an occasional knotter like me works better, and causes fewer bleeding fingers, than a needle or awl!

To use the gimp, just cut a short length (about 1/4") and thread it onto the silk, then loop it over (it will make a nice round) and thread back into the last bead. Knot, then thread into the next and knot again and finally through the last double drilled pearl and knot, then trim off the extra silk.

Jules, I tend to use cones to cover crimped loops threaded onto a piece wire with a wrapped loop either side of the cone (one inside, one out) for multistrand stuff. The heavyweight calottes with a loop on both sides are better than the thin foldover ones, but I'm still never convinced that they last very well!

I recently had a commission to string a pearl necklace and bracelet and my heart sunk as I don't do knotting very often and don't like it.

I borrowed a tri-knotter thingymajig off a fellow member and couldn't get on with it. I found the same YouTube videos that George recommended below and found them very good and easy to follow.

I don't like callottes for any of my jewellery so steered clear. I did the classic of drilling 3 pearls at each end and knotted back through. I didn't have any gimp so I made my own with fine gold-fill wire to match the clasp - just wind the wire around a headpin to get a small coil and use as normal. I used griffin silk and the finished jewellery hung beautifully.

George, when you do the ends and go back through the last 3 pearls, how do you get the knot not to unravel when it's trimmed back? I had to add a tiny dab of glue on the final knots as I didn't feel confident with it.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Quote Originally Posted by kymbi View Post

George, when you do the ends and go back through the last 3 pearls, how do you get the knot not to unravel when it's trimmed back? I had to add a tiny dab of glue on the final knots as I didn't feel confident with it.
    I was taught that the end 3 knots on both ends should be glued as a matter of course, not cos there was anything wrong with the knots.
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Thanks Su, that's comforting to know - I've a friend who knots all time and looked horrified when I mentioned that I'd sealed the knots. I couldn't imagine how they were secure otherwise.
    Kym

www.kymbigwood.com

Oh my goodness... lol, thanks for all the help, I have a HUGE shopping list, a little scared to click 'check out' but I will! I enjoyed all the videos, I'm feeling pretty clear about what to do, but I'll have to refer to them while making. I think I'll be happier using the tricord tool (unfortunately £15, grrr cooksons!!) and I prefer the finish of the gimp ends (get me with the lingo) but I bought the other thingies too (I've lost it again).

To make by Monday evening (using pearls):
    2 Necklaces
    1 Bracelet
    1 pair of clip on earings

Oh... and one or two pairs of cufflinks if I have time (not with pearls).

Lets just hope the delivery is as good as usual and I haven't got the size of the silk wrong and I'll let you know (take photos if I can) in the next few days!

Thanks again everyone, would be totally stuck without you!

Ah, thanks for that George!

Jules x

Good luck Charlotte - looking forward to seeing the finished items
    Kym

www.kymbigwood.com

I confess. I often glue the last knot with an organic binder or gs hypo.

I have also drilled an extra pearl, threaded the loose end through that and trimmed immediately after the pearl. It doesn't seem to work back through as long as the next knot sits nice and tight.

Good luck with the knotter Charlotte! I must find mine and rehome it sometime