Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic Press

Default Hydraulic Press

Hi, sorry I keep asking questions but I know I'll get informed responses if I ask on here.

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced/smallish press in the uk? I've seen the Bonny Doon and Potters ones but you don't seem to be able to get them here. I'd mostly be using them for disk cutters (instead of hammering) and texturing but I'm sure they have lots of other uses too.
    Thanks

If it is only for disk cutting you might consider an arbour press, which is much cheaper.https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...FVG6GwodyLwLQQ

For texturing I would suggest a rolling mill, in combination with textured materials, which is very versatile and has many other uses. Dennis.

Thanks Josef, I had a look at the video on that one but it looks a bit too big for my needs...and space.

Dennis, would you need much strength for that arbour press? I'd be cutting up to 1mm sheet. A rolling mill is on my most wanted list!

Quote Originally Posted by angmc View Post
    would you need much strength for that arbour press? I'd be cutting up to 1mm sheet. A rolling mill is on my most wanted list!
    No, the lever does not require much strength. That's the point of it really. The only constraint will be enough space to place your disk cutter, possibly with an extra support to keep it level.

James Miller has an arbour press. He might reply if he sees this. Dennis.

Looking at the dimensions it looks like it should be ok. Think I might give it a go. Thanks for the help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hydraulic Press Pic.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	10192
    I have just had this made for me by a friend who is happy to make them for other silversmiths too. I had at least a 2 year search for a U.K. supplier for the right thing with no success. Mike has built a beautiful steel canal boat from scratch, so this little beast was no problem to him at all! He charged me £595 for it including the 20 ton jack fitted with a pressure gauge. The whole thing is welded together (not just screwed) from steel with 1" thick plattens. He will make them without a jack pressure gauge for £495, or without a jack at all if you would prefer. It's size is 46cm high x 26cm wide x 21 cm deep (add on a further 6cm to the total width for its bench fixing brackets). Mike's phone no is 07976 806078 or email marmit3759@aol.com. I am just happy to help him advertise this press because he doesn't know any silversmiths other than me!! Hope this helps.

It looks a splendid job and I hope you enjoy using it.

Don't forget that to look after your bottle jack, it is beneficial not to pump it up higher than absolutely necessary. This means finding some metal blocks to fill up some of the available space when not needed.

You have already thought of using your press for disk cutting, but learn to get the feel of the press and listen for the pop, because it will easily bend a cutting punch and can render your set useless.

Also there are many instances when you just want to flatten something without marking it. Sandwiching it between two blocks, one metal and one wood and pumping away will work wonders. Dennis.

No probs! I use it mainly with silhouette dies which I cut myself from acrylic sheets. I also use a containment system when using non conforming dies to create hollow forms impressed with designs. I make these dies out of Devon plastic steel liquid which is very strong. Utherane is just American for polyurethane. You can get different durometers/sizes at 'Batchelors Polyurethane' in the U.K. As you say, steel spacers are a must. Bench blocks from eBay work very well!