Thread: Hello From Branson, MO USA

Default Hello From Branson, MO USA

Hi,

I am new to this site. Does anyone know how to recreate handwriting on 14k gold filled jewelry blanks? I'm sure it is a computer program and etched onto the blanks. I have been searching for an inexpensive laser machine to do this and other monogrammed jewelry. I do stamping now but would like to make it even more professional with the etching. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you! Tina

Hi Tina1001,
    Waving back!
    I only use gold filled wire, but wouldn't etching or engraving cut through the gold layer to the jewellers brass? It might look ok for a bit and then tarnish. Stamping seems to work - I guess it just pushes the gold down. It might be worth asking someone at Beaducation what they would recommend. They do lots of gold fill blanks.

Thank you for your input, Snorkmaiden. Yes, I do know there is a brass layer but usually the handwriting I see is darkened. It seems to be on a lot of bar jewelry now. I was hoping someone knew of an inexpensive way to do this that turns out a quality piece.

I agree that engraving would probably cut through the layer of plate. It depends whether it's plated onto brass or silver as to the difference it might make. If the lettering is black then it will probably just have been oxidised with something such as platinol to highlight it
    Last edited by CJ57; 17-04-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Thank you Caroline.
    Love your jewelry.