Thread: Tiny Amethyst spheres

Default Tiny Amethyst spheres

I wish to purchase, (if such a thing exists) some tiny Amethyst spheres 1.5mm in diameter they need to consistent in size and fairly close in colour
    I have no luck in location these I will need at least 20.
    Does any have any idea who I should try?

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I wish to purchase, (if such a thing exists) some tiny Amethyst spheres 1.5mm in diameter they need to consistent in size and fairly close in colour
    I have no luck in location these I will need at least 20.
    Does any have any idea who I should try?
    I'm interested in why you need spheres and not e.g hemi-spheres. At 1.5mm diameter would a rounded cabochon not suffice (i.e. you !need! spheres.

Given a quick search for this unusual request, I might suggest you take up one of two options (or more anyone else comes up with).

1. Buy a bag of small amethyst chips and tumble them. Pick Your Own
    2. Commission someone to cut (/cab if that would be acceptable) them for you

Sphere machines don't go down to this size so far as I know. Ebay has 4mm 'round' beads coming from China although you will see the drill holes with the translucency and if you tumble these down to the central 1.5mm, the majority of that will comprise 'hole'.

I am making a pendant/maybe a locket have not decided yet, the piece will have the person's initials in Braille on it. To create Braille correctly it must conform to a standard, 90% of items even corporate signage fails to conform, braille needs to be 1.5 at the base and 1.5 high for ease of construction when I do this I use a burr to create the setting and simply fix the stones with Araldite, not ideal although I have never had one come loose that I am aware of I have used other stones in the past just can't seem to find any Amethyst 2mm is the smallest I can find

Round cut stones lack the depth, but this could be corrected for, possibly by lifting the seat in a tube or does it need to be hemispherical from the surface?

Tube set round sapphire?
    https://www.gemselect.com/sapphire/sapphire-375499.php

Hi China,

I have found some small amethyst cabs. They are oversize for your desired diameter; the height looks about right but I couldn't guarantee it. If you wish I could reduce the diameter down to size for you. If you're interested PM me.

Thanks,

Chas

Amethyst cabs are not difficult to come by it is the spheres that are not available, if I can't find them I will use another stone

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Amethyst cabs are not difficult to come by it is the spheres that are not available, if I can't find them I will use another stone
    Ok... just an offer of help if you needed it. Let us know how you go.
    On the train last week it was so packed there wasn't room to look around let alone enough for oxygen. In order not to violate someone else's space I spent my journey reading the sign in English and working out what the letters were (based on repeated characters) in braille.

I'd be interested to see the finished piece. Good luck!

Yep if it comes out well I will post a pic