Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Degreasing stones for gluing

There isn't really a recommended glue for jewellery, because traditionally gem stones are set by capturing them with metal.

However two part epoxy resins, of which Araldite is one, are sometimes used for their reliability and water resistance. It's best to chose one that sets completely clear.

Some members recommend gel cyanoacrylate, or superglue, which sets very fast and is less easy to manage.

Glues affect the brilliance of translucent stones and are quite difficult to apply so as to remain invisible.

The adhesion can be undone by heating, or with solvents, provided the stones can be prised out before they become damaged. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    Thanks Peter. I seem to remember someone mentioning surgical spirit for degreasing metal. But i'll go with the meths.

Thanks again.
    I use cotton wool with a bit of lighter fuel on it for degreasing metal, stones, and leather. It is very clean and leaves no stain. I've not heard of it producing any untoward effects on certain stones, and never encountered any problems on any stones I've ever used it on. I suppose, though, it could interact unfavourably with opals or pearls, for example, if the lighter fuel ends up washing grease or dirt into cracks or scratches.

Among other things, lighter fuel is very good at removing sticky tape residue.

I think I will try a variety of methods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got some relatively cheap cabochons I would like to glue in to some bezel cups before rubbing over.
    If you don't glue them in you will have the opportunity to learn good technique whilst working on relatively cheap cabochons.

Alternatively go ahead with glue. Either use epoxy or CA (superglue). The cheaper epoxys yellow. Some cheaper epoxy will burn off at quite a low temp as will CA. Caution! Fumes!!

CA is stock-in trade use for lapidary. If you're gluing into cups, you shouldn't need much time for movement. Kept cool / stones with high polish will give a bit longer and to buy a bit more time put an extra drop on (at the start).

For degreasing try acetone (but not with dyed stones).

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Among other things, lighter fuel is very good at removing sticky tape residue.
    Ooo good tip!

What about HypoCement? This stuff: http://www.cooksongold.com/Beads/G-s...rcode-998-339A Really early on in my return to Jewellery I wanted to fix a marcasite necklace that was missing one tiny marcasite stone and google advised me to use that - I didn't think marcasite was ever set like other stones but could be wrong - anyway I found it good, made a very tidy job, but I don't know if it works with other gemstones?

Faith

As this thread is still running, you might like to browse below.
    Many of these products are available in UK: http://www.firemountaingems.com/reso...a/charts/glues

Just wanted to follow up with this.
    I went into Cooksons and bought the Araldite clear which worked perfectly. I previously used Devcon 5 minute epoxy and it never came out in equal amounts. It's so massive, it's a bit difficult to control for tiny jobs.
    So Araldite clear is the absolute winner for me.

I know this is probably a bit late now, but might be useful for others - to get equal, smaller amounts of devcon from a double syringe system, invert the whole thing so the base of the handle is on a flat surface and gently press down. A small blob should safely emerge from each nozzle, which can then be easily transferred to your mixing pad.

Just wanted to follow up with this.
    I went into Cooksons and bought the Araldite clear which worked perfectly. I previously used Devcon 5 minute epoxy and it never came out in equal amounts. It's so massive, it's a bit difficult to control for tiny jobs.
    So Araldite clear is the absolute winner for me.
    Thank you for letting us know Susie, but the problem is with the dispensing, not the quality of the glues, which are all fit for purpose. Even when dispensing from two tubes, the nozzles eventually get blocked with partially set glue and the caps won't go back on. Dennis.