Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enamel

Default Enamel

I want to try to bring a bit more colour into my jewellery and wondered if anyone can recommend a supplier of transparent enamels? I will be torch firing it. Has anyone tried it on sterling or does it always have to be fine silver?
    Thanks guys

Check out this company as they sell sample packs for you to try Theresa ; http://www.vitrumsignum.com/enamels/ all of my enamelled pieces are on sterling silver. When torch firing you just have to keep the flame off the enamel as the edges will discolour if the flame hits it.

James

Thank you James - I will bear that in mind.
    Just followed your link - I am bewildered by the choice on offer. Which make would you recommend for starters? Is flux the first coat? Do I also need anything else.
    Last edited by theresa; 06-04-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Oooh Theresa, please post pics of your torch fired enamelling when you've done some. I'd love to see. Haven't done any torch fired enamelling yet, so can't add anything.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Thank you James - I will bear that in mind.
    Just followed your link - I am bewildered by the choice on offer. Which make would you recommend for starters? Is flux the first coat? Do I also need anything else.
    Theresa, get yourself a copy of this book, it's one I bought many years ago and it tells you all you will need to know when starting enamelling, Amazon advertises 2nd hand copies here; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technique-E...e+of+enmelling

James

Are you enameling on copper or silver .....actually youtube is pretty good for enameling advice. ...but I am happy to answer any of your questions

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

OH has been playing about with copper fold form and bought an enamel starter pack from this company http://www.wgball.co.uk/enamelling/t...ch-firing-kit/

Yes I buy my enamel s from there ....I found it much easier to torch enamel on silver and use a kiln for copper. ..translucent or opaque enamel. ...

Have very different effect. ...opaque better on copper. ...clean the copper well before and pickle after

Layer colour on colour ....I mostly start with white. ...when the translucent on top

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

I use a company called W.G Ball and Son Theresa.

Nick

Will be selling my kiln, enamels etc, very shortly.....having recently moved workshop I am trying to clear out what I don't use. All enamels are from vitrumsignum and mostly unused. I'm off to see my son who works in the middle east in just over 24 hours, but I was sorting this stuff out today and was just a little surprised by how much I have and 90%+ is totally unused ........my jewellery making followed a different track I guess!!

If you can wait I am happy to post here first.