Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flush Setting

Great effort!

I cant really add much to what the others have said other than I use different sizes of nails for my flush setting burnishers.

I cut the head off, cut to length, form the end to a point then round it over. Highly polish it of course, then set it in a small mushroom shaped handle.

Control of the burnisher is also extremely important to avoid slippage and scratches, so I brace the tool with the spare hand to prevent unwanted movement.

One other thing that I find to be VERY important when flush setting, is to make sure the metal is properly annealed beforehand. Once its workhardened, then the job becomes much harder.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks Nick

I struggled with slipping too to start with, and ended up holding the burnisher a bit like a pen which helped, but equally I did these two practice ones with no work holding, so I think for a proper project I'll set the piece up secure with the grs and then be able to use two hands as you say. Ta again

Faith

Actually, I have found that using a much larger handle gives you more control of the burnisher, because counter intuitively you can press much harder without appearing to. But yes, you need two hands. Dennis.

Ta Dennis,

I'm using the universal handle with chuck puppie at the moment, and I think I described it wrong, I've got the handle sort of braced in my hand but holding the end a bit like a pencil. It kinda works but Im gonna try some other ways too

Thanks again,
    Faith

I use abit more of a potato peeler grip for drilling & burnishing..

Ooh Faith, I love your cute studs - and very impressed at the settings too! You are a clever girl .... wish I was too
    Hope your're proud of yourself, I'd be well chuffed if it was me.

Ha ha. Well done. Ear ear. I missed those the first time.
    Last edited by Dennis; 23-04-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks Chris, I tried for ages with potato peeler grip when I was struggling to cut claws, but after you convinced me to use the tiny burr that didn't pull so much I ended up switching back to pen grip for that too. Perhaps I need to persevere potato peeler way but I feel like I just can't get enough control, same for burnishing.

Aww thanks Joella I am really chuffed, I was amazed how well they turned out! I can really recommend the tutorials I linked to for flush setting in my very first post of this thread, once I'd made my little burnisher (from a 0.5mm grain tool, in universal handle with chuck) I found the method worked brilliantly.

Ha ha thanks Dennis, I'm super pleased with them

Faith
    Last edited by Faith; 23-04-2017 at 08:09 PM.

The thumb, you balance & pivot on that...so you don't have your whole hand in the air at any time.
    Hope that makes sense!

Ahh okay I get it
    Thanks
    Faith