Thread: horse before cart or cart before horse?

Default horse before cart or cart before horse?

Hi Guys,

I'm making an oval shaped hinged bangle, but don't know if you solder the hinge on before or after shaping the bangle - basic, I know - but don't want to do it in the wrong order and then have to do it again!

...If you shape the bangle first, isn't it going to be tricky soldering the hinge on? but if you solder the hinge on first, then its going to be tricky shaping the bangle, so I'm a bit confused. (no news there - haha).

I think it will be trickier to solder a hinge to a shaped bangle than to shape the bangle after soldering the hinge, so I'm inclined to do it that way about. The bangle is 8mm wide and 1.10mm thick, and I've shaped the ends for the hinge so that they are curved to fit the curve of the tube, which is 2.2mm dia and will be a 3 knuckle hinge with the middle knuckle being slightly longer than the 2 outer ones. The hinge will sit on the outer side of the bangle.

Hope you can help

Sue

I should have said, I can probably shape this to an oval with my fingers, won't need to use a mallet, except for gentle tap to true it up at end of process so it lies flat on flat surface.

As has been said here several times, there are many ways to skin a rabbit.

However, I think bending it up after soldering the hinge will stress the joints too much.

My personal preference would be to make a complete oval, cut to add the hinge and then cut on the opposite side to le it open. You will also need a catch.
    Below is a hinge I added as a repair when this bangle kept breaking. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wedge Bracelet 1.jpg   Wedge Bracelet 2 Knuckles In Their Cradles.jpg   Wedge Bracelet 3 Finished Repair.jpg  

Thanks Dennis,
    I like the style of your bangle. I'm aiming to copy the style of one given to me many years ago (the year of the queens silver jubilee) pictured below. As you can see, I'm afraid the one I'm making is already in 2 parts, so too late to make it as a complete oval!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	10118

you could solder it together, then it would be one part, then you could try what Dennis suggests.

I shape mine first then cut them as Dennis says, make the joint and then reshape as needed once its done.

Oh bother! I seem to be .... sorry for the ineloquence ..... all arse about face! I will have to re solder the thing, and then proceed as you have all suggested. Clearly, I got ahead of myself - never a good idea, sometimes my enthusiasm trips me up somewhat! Oh well, thanks all for your help/advice, it's appreciated - even if I was hoping for a different answer. It's all good practice, and I'll order another bit of silver to have another go at getting it right form the start next time.... I could kick myself!