Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flush Setting

You'll be scratching the stones if you are not careful so...maybe some brass might be better for abit softer stones..also try & avoid riding the burnisher over the facets otherwise you won't get a nice circular edge.

Thanks Josef that's fab

Thanks Chris, thats really helpful, I hadn't heard of using brass, get your point completely about bumping over the facets too, that gives a good idea what to shoot for with the burnisher shape actually.

Ta again
    Faith

Stainless steel is useful for softer stones too, I have a burnisher that i made out of a fork prong which I find really helpful on amethysts etc.

Stone setters can be quite inventive when it comes to tools...
    Old grain (beading) tools are my favourite & make up different things for certain jobs if i I don't already have tool that will help.

Thanks Sarah, how ingenious! I'm planning to start with Zircons, so hopefully they'll have a bit of resilience, but I'll make a note for softer coloured stones.

Thanks Chris, one of the tutorials I read recommended grain tools too to modify. The sad thing is I have so little time to practice setting outside of my non-jewellery related job I have no old anything so I'm going to have to buy some new burs or grain tools and grind their little heads off right out of the packet poor things. I'll have a look at grain tools though, they may be cheaper and easier to reshape too.

Many thanks
    Faith

Attempt 1:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3337.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	10096Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3338.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	10097

How's this!? I'm pretty pleased if I'm honest, it was my first one, it doesn't look awful and I can't poke the little guy out from the back, seems good and solid. The stone is 1.5 mm so it was tricky to photograph just with the phone, but hopefully you can see.

I slipped a couple of times during the setting, so I need to find a way of not doing that, but otherwise any other feedback?

Many thanks, and many thanks again for all the good pre-advice too

Faith

Its a damn sight better than my early ones! looks good to me, well done.

Looks great ! nicely done

Thanks Sarah, I used the tutorial you recommended to me a while ago, so it must have been that .

Thanks Josef I was amazed it worked really it seemed like so little metal to hold the stone, but it wasn't going anywhere.

Faith

Well I decided I was so pleased with flush setting number one that I'd do another, to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and then was so pleased with that one that I felt sad I hadn't planned to make them into anything (they were just set in the very corner of a spare bit of sheet for practice. Having read that you can solder zircons I decided to take a chance, cut the little settings out of the sheet, soldered stud backs on and shaped and polished them, leaving myself with a completely unexpected pair of cute little flush set studs:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3341.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	10101

Yay

Ta again
    Faith