Thread: Pebble Dash

Default Pebble Dash

When I made my spider pendant, I had some stones over as alternatives for the eyes, so I thought I would dash off a pebble shaped ring, so as to use them up.

Well, by the time I had made a non-conforming die for the two halves of the pebble, textured some sheet and pressed them out, added patches inside where the stones were to go, joined the halves, drilled out the centre and inserted a tube to fit, it was no dash at all.

In fact, there wasn’t much of the pebble left either. I decided to set the stones in alternate positions, three on one side and four on the other, in case the culets clashed, but that was probably never a problem.

Mission accomplished but not an overwhelming result. I thought you would like to see it just the same.

Die, Perspex reinforced with brass. Aluminium blocks and neoprene pads for hydraulic press.
    Metal, 1.0 mm sterling sheet roll textured with craft paper.
    Ring, Size P Oval Shape 25.0 x 28.0 mm
    Stones, black diamond, 2.0mm and 1.7mm. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pr1  Making The Pebble.jpg   Pr2 Pebble Ring.jpg   Pr3 Pebble Ring.jpg  

That's clever Dennis, I like the style - till I looked at the pic I was thinking pebble shaped horizonally not vertically, a picture worth a thousand words (or just my muddled thinking - haha).

Thank you Sue and Sarah. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by joella View Post
    That's clever Dennis, I like the style - till I looked at the pic I was thinking pebble shaped horizonally not vertically, a picture worth a thousand words (or just my muddled thinking - haha).
    I thought the same from the description till I saw the picture!

I like the finished ring Dennis, but it does sound like a lot of effort to get there

It's different & I like that for starters. Black diamond is good too.

Regarding your description of the process, I'm not sure if you're intending to talk only to the knowledgeable, but I feel I'm missing a step somewhere. Tantalisingly close, but there's something I've not fully understood and maybe I don't fully appreciate what you've done.

Thank you Lauren.

I will briefly recap to clarify metalsmith, but let me know if I haven't explained it well enough.

The halves were made in the press, trimmed and soldered together to form a pebble.

Because the pressing has to be quite thin, I added patches inside the stone setting area to thicken it so that the stones could be flush.

The pebble was drilled horizontally to take a tube for the finger size. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Thank you Lauren.

I will briefly recap to clarify metalsmith, but let me know if I haven't explained it well enough...

Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis, it was the apparent contradiction of thin metal together with stone setting that my mind had at odds. All clear now, thank you.

Hi Dennis, I like it too! I didn't fully follow your original description either but I get it now I think, the whole ring was a pebble and you made a hole and put a ring sized tube in? I think the asymmetrical setting makes it seem nice and organic too

Faith

Yes ghat's right Faith. Thank you for your comments. Dennis